Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2021-11-25 17:30:02

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

adript < adrift

Peter’s “adeft < adept” made me wonder whether this occurred, and sure enough, it does.

Newfoundland. Supreme Court · 1898 · ?Law reports, digests, etc Cod – traps adript from their shore and sea moorings cannut be the subject of a claim for salvage either under the Salvage Act or at common law.

(Might this be dialect of some sort? Cf. the spelling “cannut”.)

Whatever happened to childhood? Six-year-old beauty queens in the USA; teenage survivors from the wreck of Communism adript on the Russian streets; sexual abuse and the collapse of the family in the UK; child prostitution in Asia’s tourist havens.

The bulletin says German floating mines are being cast adript in pairs, connected with a line aoout too feet long

Some of these are probably read in by computer from printed sources. In the following case I saw the photo of the original, and it definitely, to my eye, read SET ADRIFT. I had not thought of how similar the capitals F and P are, especially in serif fonts; enough to fool a character recognition program when the photo is a bit fuzzy.

THE INFANT PRINCE SET ADRIPT ON THE CANAL BY THE JEALOUS SISTERS

Back to more normal exx.:

Foreign trade regulation THE “ DATA GAD : BLIND REGULATORS CAST ADRIPT IN A SEA OF IGNORANCE The inability of government bureaucracy to expeditiously …

The Constant Gardener, is a movie based on the book written by John LeCarre. John LeCarre was cast adript by the end of cold war,

But there aren’t a lot more.
Seems to me unlikely to be an eggcorn: a-dripped ? I don’t really get it.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2021-11-29 07:03:02

kem
Eggcornista

Re: adript < adrift

Agree, the evidential threshhold is low for making the eggcorn case. But if it were to me made, I can sort of see it-cast adript = flung out and scattered like a glass of water.

I had not thought of how similar the capitals F and P are

Just now you noticed? That problem cost me three years in the first grade.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2021-12-08 18:05:43

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: adript < adrift

You remind me of my brother (?a genius mechanic, by the way?) who once told a class of university students, “I spent six wonderful years here at this university, and if I ever came back, I would be a junior!”

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer