Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2006-09-03 19:03:34

Fred Sanderson

The almost universal misuse of "literally" these days...

Heard Dee Dee Meyers, former press sec. to Clinton say that their headquarters was “literally” in a meltdown on election night..or “I was litlerally on pins and needles”..jeez…four syllable words such as this catch on among the under-educated, because thet feel it makes them sound knowledgeable, when in fact, it exposes their true ignorance. I feel like pulling my hair out when I hear it…literally…!

#2 2006-09-03 19:46:59

Fishbait
Website

Re: The almost universal misuse of "literally" these days...

Fred,

The (mis)use of “literally” as a simple intensifier is at least three hundred years old. Check out this post on Language Log: http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/language … 2611.html. Ambrose Bierce was complaining about it 100 years ago. The Language Log post references an article in Slate which attempts, perhaps a little unconvincingly, to defend this very common usage.

Having said all that, I don’t like it much either. But you should be nicer to your poor hair. . .

Board footer