Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-03 14:03:34

Fred Sanderson

The almost universal misuse of "literally" these days...

Heard Dee Dee Meyers, former press sec. to Clinton say that their headquarters was “literally” in a meltdown on election night..or “I was litlerally on pins and needles”..jeez…four syllable words such as this catch on among the under-educated, because thet feel it makes them sound knowledgeable, when in fact, it exposes their true ignorance. I feel like pulling my hair out when I hear it…literally…!

#2 2006-09-03 14:46:59

Fishbait
Website

Re: The almost universal misuse of "literally" these days...

Fred,

The (mis)use of “literally” as a simple intensifier is at least three hundred years old. Check out this post on Language Log: http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/language … 2611.html. Ambrose Bierce was complaining about it 100 years ago. The Language Log post references an article in Slate which attempts, perhaps a little unconvincingly, to defend this very common usage.

Having said all that, I don’t like it much either. But you should be nicer to your poor hair. . .

Board footer