Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-13 17:28:48

kikumieko3

gorilla warfare/guerilla warfare?

Just a misspelling, or do people imagine that gorillas have some special skills that, when emulated, can lead to victory in war? Has anyone else seen this one?

#2 2006-09-13 20:16:52

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: gorilla warfare/guerilla warfare?

I think it’s much more than a misspelling. It could very well be an eggcorn, and I daresay a pretty widespread one at that! It is not unreasonable for someone to imagine “gorilla warfare” as combatants hanging out in trees (like gorillas) ready to pounce on the enemy. (For I don’t recall what age I was when I stopped imagining it as such!)

Google counts on Sept 14, 2006
687,000 “geurilla warfare”
52,600 “gorilla warfare”

I had to search through 28 pages to find these nine examples:

Cingular Gorilla Warfare (theloonybin.blog-city.com)My friend’s new cell phone wasn’t working right. Whenever he tried to push 7 to delete existing voicemails, it wouldn’t work. His voicemails were backing up …
theloonybin.blog-city.com/cingular_gorilla_warfare.htm – 19k – Cached – Similar pages

Seattle Post-Intelligencer: 2004 Election… who are radicals really are our enemies, we should use our power which is nuclear power since we could never match them in numbers in gorilla warfare. ...
seattlepi.nwsource.com/forum/boards/viewtopic.asp?topicid=92014 – 30k – Cached – Similar pages

Amusingfacts.comIt turns out the Army forgot to tell anyone in advance about this exercise in urban gorilla warfare training. So, everything was under control. Or was it? ...
www.amusingfacts.com/cgi-bin/surf/surf_ … s0004.html – 10k – Cached – Similar pages

Comments on: Thank You.Bush was ambushed in a gorilla warfare type of maneuver, which I feel was very uncalled for. The perfect way to get back was to give Bush a microphone and …
thankyoustephencolbert.org/wordpress/archives/3/feed/ – 44k – Sep 12, 2006 – Cached – Similar pages

Hot Flash Report.com: The Right Wing\’s 20-Year PlanThey knew it was gorilla warfare that would take years, and they’ve succeeded. We must reiterate. We watched the troops years ago with walkie-talkies and …
www.refuseandresist.org/repro/art.php?aid=1588 – 14k – Cached – Similar pages

McCain passes amendment to end torture of detainees; Bush …Hence, gorilla warfare is the only thing these “rebels” (or rather, “freedom-fighters” ... “gorilla warfare” by danro, 10/06/2005 06:33:16 AM EST (3.00 / 2) ...
www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/10/6/43412/4301 – 155k – Sep 12, 2006 – Cached – Similar pages

Comments on 20026 | MetaFilterIraq doesn’t have the economy or the need to get into an arms race with the United States, so he will resort to gorilla warfare, ie terrorism, to attack us. ...
www.metafilter.com/comments.mefi/20026 – 56k – Cached – Similar pages

Caritas – Papal Office – May 2004The problem that We are looking at is the generally used “gorilla warfare.” The Palestinians are without a military force, so their one means available to …
www.truecatholic.org/pope/car-200405.htm – 33k – Cached – Similar pages

The Joel on Software Discussion Group – IQ and programming #2 – In …They stated (the aussie educated soldiers trained in gorilla warfare) that they would not of been able to survive without the help of the uneducated east …
discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.301010.29 – 46k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2006-09-14 09:14:30)

#3 2006-09-14 08:42:09

kikumieko3

Re: gorilla warfare/guerilla warfare?

There is also apparently a video game called “Gorilla Warfare,” which kind of makes sense.

Board footer