Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-06-10 01:35:19

XatMous

'Deafly Quiet' for 'Deathly Quiet'

I received a work email today with this phrase in it, and found some other examples through Google:

“Pulling his eyes off of her sleeping form, he quietly made his way to the front door of her suite, swinging it open and walking out into the deafly quiet hallway of the hotel they were staying at.”
-http://nsync-fiction.com/viewstory.php?action=printable&textsize=0&sid=70&chapter=27&PHPSESSID=8cd0dd2ccc304532ef47a1e37d458969

“No conversations, no smells or noises from the kitchen. It was deafly quiet”.
-http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=WojxQ8omUJgC&pg=PA140&lpg=PA140&dq=phrase+%22deafly+quiet%22&source=bl&ots=qlQAKvkuht&sig=p15354FF66f6q53MN_whwrln1gE&hl=en&ei=VlIvSs_WKaTgtAP5mIzKCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

I couldn’t find this in the database through either search, my apologies if this is a duplicate.

#2 2009-06-10 03:08:06

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: 'Deafly Quiet' for 'Deathly Quiet'

Hello XatMous, and welcome. This does all an eggcorn should do and it’s not in the database. It comes from one of my favourite eggcorn areas – the never regions, where the roofless hang out. A lovely find – congratulations!

#3 2009-06-10 11:20:52

burred
Eggcornista

A deaft and deafless eggcorn, very nice!

#4 2009-06-11 00:49:44

patschwieterman
Administrator

Beautiful! Finds like this one always give me hope that others like it are still out there somewhere. We haven’t reached Eggcorn Omega yet.

#5 2009-06-11 10:29:50

jorkel
Eggcornista

87 Google hits for “deafly quiet”
242 Google hits for “deafly silent”
... that’s pretty good for any eggcorn.
Google even attempts to lump in results for “deadly—-” automatically.

Lately I’m not able to cut-and-paste my Google results cleanly. The sightings below are perhaps a bit jumbled because I’ve had to remove stray marks…

Top Ten Best Places to Nap on Campus | The Cornell Daily SunOn the first floor of Central Campus’ Stimson Hall there lies a faint, ugly gray couch that is accompanied by four soft yet heavily worn, multicolored pillows. An ideal spot for a quick breather.
Upon entering Willard Straight Hall from Ho Plaza, you’ll find the reading room on your left. The room is grand, with portal-forming windows, ...

The library is deafly silent, as stone statues and centuries-old portraits surround you with a Harry Potter-like ambiance. The couches are only about five feet wide but are ideally …
cornellsun.com/node/35275 · Cached page

TheStar.com | Canada | Ottawa fights Khadr ruling Karim (in wheelchair), brother of Omar Khadr, leaves the Supreme Court of Canada with his mother Maha Elsamnah (left) in Ottawa today. (March 26, 2008)
Michelle Shephard National Security Reporter OTTAWA—Canada does not have an obligation to hand over evidence concerning Guantanamo detainee Omar Khadr and doing so could jeopardize …

We have the Canadian government criticize the Chinese, we have them standing up for a young lady in Mexico. But they’re deafly silent when it comes to America.”
www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/351061 · Cached page

Ohio EventsThe room grew deafly silent while we waited for Dad to speak. He whispered two words, “Thank You”. Dad we just want to say…. Thank You!
www.pulmonaryfibrosis.org/oh.htm · Cached page

BritishGaming | Review – Braid (Xbox Live Arcade)How about a stage with a giant gorilla statue that shoots enemies down several diagonally placed girders. A courteous homage to Donkey Kong? How about when you move right, the game is normal; protagonist Tim bounds over enemies and flattens others, springing off their head upon impact. But when you move left, the worlds move in reverse, the enemy …
Also on this page
But, like the many famous characters he replicates, he remains deafly silent. His story is told only through hazy, fragmented chapters of his life, strewn across pages of several …

Last edited by jorkel (2009-06-11 10:33:29)

Board footer