Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-05 04:47:07

instarx

"bunkered down" rather than "hunkered down"

“He’s already bunkering down and getting ready for a long fight,” said Jonathan Vaughters, a friend of Landis’s who rode with him and Armstrong on the United States Postal Service team.

Lansis clearly does not know if he wants to hunker down or get to a bunker.

Found in the wild in the NYTimes August 5, 2006.

Also, no comment about the doubly possessive “Landis’s”.

#2 2006-08-06 00:37:31

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "bunkered down" rather than "hunkered down"

Google claims that Ken Lakritz submitted this one some time in the past, but I can’t pull up his original post..I did manage to pull up a classic Language Log post by Arnold Zwicky that discusses “bunker down”—and many other eggcorns. Even just the “bunker” part is too long to reproduce, but here’s the pointer to the post:
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/language … 01419.html

I’m with you on the possessive s—I like the streamlined look. But plenty of mainstream style manuals are ranged against us. The 6th edition of the MLA Handbook (2003) gives “Venus’s,” “Descartes’s,” “Dickens’s,” and “Marx’s” as examples of proper punctuation (p. 91).

I don’t own a copy of the NYT stylebook (if I ever have an income…), but I’m willing to bet that that fussy possessive is in line with NYT house style.

Board footer