Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-07-09 23:49:44

kem
Eggcornista

nark and narc

English has two words that ought to be flounders, and should even be eggcorn flounders. One of them is “narc,” a slang word for a NARCotics agent. The other is “nark,” a Gypsy word for “nose” that has become a word for a policeman’s informer or a policeman.

To be flounders, the two words would have to be confused with each other. These two, however, seldom are. The problem is that they are separated by several tens of millions of cubic miles of salt water. We can see the problem by looking at the COCA and BNS corpuses. The noun “narc” occurs in COCA with some frequency, the noun “nark,” in the sense given above, once at the most, and probably not at all. The BNC, in contrast, has many examples of “nark,” but no (genuine) examples of slang word “narc.”

One way to check whether the British “nark” and the American “narc” ever get confused is to look at idioms that contain the two terms. “Nark,” we note, often occurs in the phrase “copper’s nark.” When we look for “copper’s narc” we find a few examples that look like they could be more than simple misspellings. Here are two “copper’s narc” citations from American sources.

Bulletin board post by someone living in Southern California and trying to sound British: “Egads! We have cast our lot with a copper’s narc !”

Question by a person from Boston on the Wordwizard site: “ copper’s narc: Heard this watching an old brit flick. It didn’t make sense. Any ideas? ”

We can run the movie in the other direction by looking at the idiom “narc squad.” Does “nark squad” ever occur in a contexture that suggests the person might be confusing “nark” and “narc?” Here are some examples that look suspicious because they come from British sources:

Comment on a British newspaper football article: “when we Preston fans get bashed back into our seat or beaten up and dragged into a dog van for standing and cheering by the nark squad.”

An English translation on a TV France site, possible done by a British person: “If France defends its “cultural exception”, it could also defend its ‘policing exception’ where the fight against narcotics traffic is concerned. The OCRTIS, the elite of the French ‘ nark ’ squad is the unavoidable negotiator within the European Union”

Post on a British poetry forum: “Yes, go for the visit to the drug dealer or a bust by the Nark Squad ”

(One small cloud obscures our view of the “nark squad” examples: “nark” is recorded as a possible spelling of “narc.” “Nark” is not a common alternative, though, and we can see from the COCA example that it is almost unused in edited prose of the 1990s and 2000s.)

The idiomatic substitutions described above suggest that the nouns “narc” and “nark” may be, for people with feet in both British and American English, flounders that can interchange in non-idiomatic contexts. But are they also eggcorns? That is, does the substituted word cause the meaning of the enclosing phrase to be reanalyzed in terms of the meanings of the substituted word, or does the substituted word simply pick up the meaning of the word for which it substitutes? Are, for example, nark squads thought to be drug-busting teams that run informers? Or are copper’s narcs more likely to inform on drug-related criminals? This we do not know, and so I hesitate to nominate them as eggcorns. They are ships that pass in the night; on the rare occasion when they do catch sight of each other in the midatlantic gloom, they don’t seem to be able to identify each other.

Last edited by kem (2009-12-31 20:31:08)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2009-07-12 04:08:52

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: nark and narc

I always assumed that nark was just an alternate spelling of narc. And indeed it is, according to my dictionary (New American Oxford Dictionary), but under “nark” my dictionary also gives the other derivation/meaning, which I had never heard of before you mentioned it, kem. Interesting.

#3 2009-07-12 12:01:45

kem
Eggcornista

Dixon—with the narc/nark alternatives we are in the low-visibility area between “alternate spelling” and “preferred spelling.” I’ve found the COCA and BNC databases quite useful when trapped in this fog.They show what choices contemporary editors are making. In the case of the noun and adjective “narc,” the databases suggest that “nark squad” is substandard.

The verb “to narc/nark,” which I didn’t mention in my post, is wholly nother. The “k” spelling seems to be a heavy favorite, possibly because the British noun “nark” is the patterning agent. This is even the case in contexts in which the speaker might have the word “narcotics” in mind. For example:

Yahoo Answers post: “So, he called the police to nark on his stepfather for smoking pot. ”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2009-07-13 12:27:08

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

The verbal form of ‘nark’ is alive and well in the UK and is increasingly used in the expression ‘narked off’ which seems a politer substitute for “pissed off”, which means the same as ‘pissed’ in the US (and Canada?). Pissed here still means no more than drunk. Nark the Noun, however, seems to be verging on the obsolete, but Narky the Adjective is still fit and active. And I’ve just discovered another use of nark, which involves, I suppose, getting pissed (Br) on nitrogen:

Club Narked! This will revolutionise clubbing – 08:17 Narked.org. Alcohol and drug-free clubbing is here. Natural Intoxication via Nitrogen Narcosis, in a converted bank Vault is the location for this …

#5 2021-08-08 12:40:55

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Had a memory of my kids singing this song (which I thought might be a Wierd Al Yankovich special but apparently was by Pinkard and Bowden, whoever they were/are:)

Oh, Elvis was a Narc, in rhinestones after dark!

He did his best to keep Memphis drug-free;

He knew every pill he’d eat

was one less upon the street;

Oh, Elvis took them all for you and me!

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2021-08-08 12:48:27)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer