Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-07-14 08:51:48

Catanea

"ash fault" for asphalt

I’ve just spotted this at http://www.bfro.net/gdb/show_report.asp?id=25857 – it’s a first for me. I wonder what imagined etymology the speaker/writer carries in its mind for that.

#2 2009-07-14 12:43:47

fpberger
Eggcornista

Re: "ash fault" for asphalt

This one looks pretty widespread. There’s obviously some part of the US that pronounces asphalt with an inital “ash” sound… I don’t usually hear it said that way.

But as far as imagery goes, there could be an assumption that burning something is a precursor to making asphalt. Or someone who’s seen the Hawaiian volcanos or other basaltic lava producers might assume that asphalt is related to that hot black flowing stuff that comes from volcanoes, which might explain the “ash” root?

#3 2009-07-14 12:45:12

fpberger
Eggcornista

Oops—didn’t search first. Looks like this one was discussed at length in 2006:

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=1222

#4 2011-01-20 12:11:17

dmargulis

From a LinkedIn discussion on a closed forum, so I can’t provide a working link.

“I can send you a picture… I even did a KEWIE on a ash-fault street, lasted two weeks and many cars running over it !!”

The 2006 discussion seems to be about ashphalt. I think ash-fault goes a step further in terms of the mental imagery. How about the La Brea tar pits—black, sticky stuff oozing from a fault in the earth, and it’s hot, too, like ashes.

#5 2011-01-20 13:10:43

kem
Eggcornista

Hi, dmargulis, welcome to the forum.

“Ashfault” is an interesting addition to the history of the much-maligned “asphalt.” The semantics of “fault” don’t seem that implicated (to my sense of meaning, at least), but the invocation of a sense-word for the second half of the term has eggcornical overtones. I note that “asfault” is also common.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer