Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-08 12:26:01

jorkel
Eggcornista

"CURVE" vs curb one's appetite (enthusiasm)

“Curve one’s enthusiasm” might have been covered in earlier post, but a related eggcorn which is even more prevalent is “Curve one’s appetite”. So prevalent is it that I momentarily had to stop and think whether it was legitimate… for shame! Popular usage of “curve” loses out to the proper usage of “curb” in the sense of “check, control”. (By the way, is anyone else ready to admit that the eggcorn sometimes seems like the real thing?)

#2 2006-08-13 07:36:14

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "CURVE" vs curb one's appetite (enthusiasm)

Google counts on Aug 13, 2006

309 Curve your enthusiasm
5,180,000 Curb your enthusiasm

1550 Curve your appetite
96,500 Curb your appetite

What a difference between the top set and the bottom set!
If these numbers are representative of the general population, then about 1.6% believe that “curve your appetite” is the correct form!

I thought that one internet site even mentioned a book named “Curve your Appetite.” Was this intentional or an oversight by the editors?

#3 2007-06-24 16:10:26

Chris Waigl
Eggcorn Faerie
Website

Re: "CURVE" vs curb one's appetite (enthusiasm)

I’m pretty sure the book title is a pun. That’s the ticket with eggcorns—the good ones will exist as puns.

Board footer