Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-12 21:06:04

Fishbait
Website

"shotty" for "shoddy"

I got an e-mail today from the receptionist in my office, saying that the telephone repairman had found that an inside line was “shotty” and would have to be replaced soon. She also left me a voicemail in which she used the same word. A cross between “shot” and “shoddy”?

Googling “shotty” produces a bunch of fascinating usages. One blogger claimed “shotty” as his own coinage. He was having a “shotty” day—a shitty day that was also shot. “Shotty” is also a shotgun; the front passenger (shotgun?) seat in a car; a word you use to call “dibs” on the front seat; and a technique for smoking a joint or blunt. There are definitely some users who are substituting “shotty” for “shoddy,” as in “shotty formatting.”

#2 2009-08-06 13:31:18

rs.shadow0000
Banned

Re: "shotty" for "shoddy"

saying that the blast repairman had begin that an central band was “shotty” and would accept to be replaced soon. She aswell larboard me a voicemail in which she acclimated the aforementioned word. A cantankerous amid “shot” and “shoddy

_
ouch!!!

Last edited by rs.shadow0000 (2009-08-06 13:32:01)

#3 2009-08-06 22:39:15

burred
Eggcornista

This one caps it. It doesn’t pass the Turing test for me. Algorithmic blathering is no longer a simple rash on the rear end of the web, it has somehow spread here.

#4 2009-08-07 12:51:36

patschwieterman
Administrator

I googled “rs.shadow0000”—“it” has been really, really busy joining forums recently and has already been banned by at least 2 it joined yesterday. But that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been posting comments. In fact, Shadow’s posts can seem relevant to the topic at hand even if they’re incomprehensible. They appear to take the same form on every website: part of a comment by a legitimate forum member in the same thread is sent twice through Babelfish or some similar translation software, and is reposted as rs.shadow0000’s own comment; the result ends up looking like the work of a non-native speaker who is inarticulately trying to comment on the topic of the moment. A clever bot—but as usual, I’m wondering how this benefits someone.

In any case, Voight-Kampff protocols have been activated, and blade-runners are even now pursuing rs_shadow down dark and rain-slickened streets while eating sushi.

[Later edit: Shadow’s inarticulacy seems to have rubbed off on me; I rewrote much of this to make it clearer.]

Last edited by patschwieterman (2009-08-07 16:42:24)

Board footer