Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-09 11:13:08

hichkichi

"Toe up"

I thought this was an eggcorn of my own imagination until I did a search and found that others had at least imagined the same thing orthographically. I recall hearing it first in the summer of 2000 when someone at the Washington, D.C. Greyhound bus station spoke as he got off a bus from Pittsburgh about getting “to’e up” the previous night. I knew it meant getting drunk, but I assumed the phrase described how as a result of of passing out on one’s back, one’s toes point upwards. Clearly “to’e” is the way I heard this person pronounce the word “tore” (or “torn”). I submitted this anecdote to Michael Quinion several years back, but to my knowledge, he never took it up on his website.

It seems that “toe up” also refers to a method of knitting socks and that this has added to the confusion. See, for example, http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/top … _ID=35501.

Board footer