Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-09-01 09:43:51

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'gold rash' for 'gold rush'

I came across this while negotiating the quicksands earlier today and thought it probably no more than a one-off error but now I’m not so sure as there are quite a few of them and it seems to work well as either noun or adjective: a sudden eruption of many examples in a short period or an impulsive and imprudent act.

First, the heady days of the Western Australian gold rash in the 1890s saw the arrival of thousands of golddiggers, particularly from the eastern colonies. ...

that were hurriedly put into service for transportation north during the Klondike gold rash of. 1898. The Pacific & Alaska Transportation Company was one of …
www.juneau.org/history/documents/Histor … kSites.pdf

With the California gold rash of 1849 and the latter discovery of gold and silver in various areas, mining and railroad towns emerged. ...
books.google.co.uk/books?isbn=0750674563…

‘It was like a gold rash,’ says Robinson. ‘They were boasting in the pubs that they could make 1000 [pounds sterling] a tide.’ ...
findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3120/is…/ai_n31526817/ – Cached

There were sequels: Mose in a Muss and Mose in California during the gold rash. Mose was romanticized as a city-bred Paul Bunyan with amazing strength, ...
books.google.co.uk/books?isbn=0275985385…

... representing a `modern’ history which also includes the transportation of English and Irish convicts, the creation of Sydney and the gold rash. ...
www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&se=gglsc&d=5001920311

When the gold rash hit California, people travelled far and wide across the continent in hope of finding gold in order to strike it rich. ...
books.google.co.uk/books?isbn=1594674019…

#2 2012-06-11 13:49:06

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'gold rash' for 'gold rush'

Gold fever does spread like a nasty rash, though some people claim to be allergic to gold.

This morning I was titillated by the roundtripper on the radio, where someone confessed to making a rush decision where clearly rash was wanted. Rush decisions are made rashly, in haste, without consideration of the consequences.

The spreading, itchy kind of rash came over with the Old French. The precipitous, ill-considered rash comes from O.E., “quick, nimble”. The hasty kind of rash is so entangled with a rush that, when they’re exchanged, it’s hard to know which sense was intended. I tried to find examples where rash would have been an equally good or better choice than rush in the context. I suspect that the confusion goes way back. The original rush also came over with the O.Fr. and first meant “ruse, dodge, repel”. By the mid-17th c. it had taken on the sense of quickness and hurry, as if rash.

In a rush decision, I had an abortion, which I totally regret.
Moral support lounge

once this happen, usually we will start to act rushly and forget our own rules, and finally will lead us to more losses.
Foreign exchange lounge

Have a huge deal of patience and take things gradually because you may end up losing everything if you behave rushly.
Robot advice

While you might feel that difficult times call for desperate actions, the truth is, rush behaviour at this moment will only work to convince your ex that you are incompetent of having a life of your own and thus, incapable of maintaining a life together.
Robot article

#3 2012-06-11 20:54:34

kem
Eggcornista

Re: 'gold rash' for 'gold rush'

The Teutonic “rush” replaces the Latinate “rash.” Beadwof, the unmitigated Gaul, is happy.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer