Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-10 09:48:55

mrlemur

hunger pang vs. hunger pain

I’m not sure these two terms mean exactly the same thing, but it seems to me people use them interchangeably. Does “pang” merely suggest an intense craving, as opposed to actual abdominal pain caused by hunger? I’d be curious to know if anyone has researched these terms thoroughly.

Google hits:

hunger pain 4440
hunger pang 1200

#2 2006-08-10 13:59:06

noexodus

Re: hunger pang vs. hunger pain

Dictionary.com says
1. A sudden sharp spasm of pain. See Synonyms at pain.
2. A sudden sharp feeling of emotional distress.

I also made a post about the difference for birth pains, and birth pangs. Oddly enough dictionary.com cites definitions for both hunger pains and pangs giving them essentially the same meaning, yet not for birth pains, only birth pangs. Although whats even more odd is that a synonym for birth pangs dictionary.com lists labor pains.

Board footer