Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-10-24 10:46:43

anaphoricreference

Flingshot for slingshot

Produced by a student I work with. Eggcorn?

#2 2009-10-24 11:28:04

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Flingshot for slingshot

What was the age of your source? The reason I ask: the widely-marked group of Flingshot® toys. It is possible that the speaker was referring to the toys and not to the old-fashioned slingshot (what our British cousins sometimes call a “catapult”).

Or the speaker may have inadvertently substituted a better-known trade name for a lesser-known generic name. Inadvertent eggcorns that have their source in advertent errors (see Arnold Zwicky’s post on the role of advertent errors in various classes of mock eggcorns at http://arnoldzwicky.wordpress.com/2009/ … their-kin/ ) are pollutions of the eggcorn waters.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2009-10-24 12:29:06

anaphoricreference

Interesting! I haven’t heard of the toys. The source is 11 years old – would that put him in an age range likely to know and/or use trade name Flingshot toys? Thanks for the post link as well.

Last edited by anaphoricreference (2009-10-24 12:29:48)

#4 2009-10-25 00:07:25

kem
Eggcornista

He may have heard of the Flingshot when he was growing up. Don’t know. The only toys I know well are the ones that occupy 60-year-old boys.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer