Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-11-12 22:45:56

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"per say" rears its ugly head once again

“I’ve never been a big fan of the trumpet per say…” (from an online music discussion).

“per say” for “per se” is already in the Eggcorn Database, but I thought I’d share this new example. It might be of interest to those who haven’t seen this one before.

Dixon

#2 2009-11-13 04:41:42

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "per say" rears its ugly head once again

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder—how about its lovely head? (Yes, it’s ugly too.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2009-11-13 17:07:11)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2009-11-18 22:08:32

David Bird
Eggcornista

music sampling
There really no [Frooty Loops] samples pure say.They use the same samples as other [Digitial Audio Workstations].
(http://stuff.boxden.com/searchresults.p … Search#637)

Last edited by David Bird (2009-11-18 22:26:11)

#4 2009-11-19 00:41:13

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

David Bird wrote:

There really no [Frooty Loops] samples pure say.

Wow, David, Ive never seen that version before. I’d say that it makes even more sense as an eggcorn than does the “per say” form.

It seems fairly rare. Googling “pure say” yielded 6160 hits, but of the sample I scanned (the first 100 hits), only 2 seemed to have the eggcornish meaning we’re discussing:

“Unlike your Kawi, there isnt a belt adjustment pure-say.”

“The point is when you open the box and take the game out. It is no longer a new game pure say.”

(Although I’m not sure how to interpret this one, from a discussion of Role Playing Games: “Of course some guilds will set a pure say, 2hour window, and for those 2 hours go “defend” incase someone attacks.”)

Dixon

#5 2009-11-19 08:29:16

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Meow! It even has a catty version:

” I have never heard of a Corsican cuisine Purr Say”

“I am not offended by that picture purr say, but ya gotta admit that it’s damn hilarious”

Granted most hits for “purr say” are attempts at explaining the pronunciation of “per se” but there are more feline gems among them.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#6 2011-01-11 02:30:54

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

And here’s another new one from a post on my local email bulletin board: “Just because a report is not about Smart Meters, as per say, it may be about the same technology containing same / similar amounts of RF Pulse radiation.”

#7 2011-01-11 13:30:58

jorkel
Eggcornista

The last one Dixon posted “as per say” got me thinking… If someone refers to something said earlier, then he may do so “per said item.” It kind of casts new light on the eggcorn for me.

Last edited by jorkel (2011-01-11 13:34:09)

#8 2011-01-11 17:09:30

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

jorkel wrote:

The last one Dixon posted “as per say” got me thinking… If someone refers to something said earlier, then he may do so “per said item.” It kind of casts new light on the eggcorn for me.

Oh yeah, I never thought of that meaning before.

#9 2013-12-22 15:53:31

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Well, it’s been almost 3 years since we discussed this one here, so, for the benefit of anyone who hasn’t seen this classic eggcorn yet, I’ll share the example I just encountered:

It was an interesting thing for me that after “growing up ” per say , I stopped jumping gleefully onto the scale at Frizelle Enos when shopping there…
http://www.waccobb.net/forums/showthrea … post174583

#10 2014-05-30 00:29:36

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Here’s a variation that’s new to me, from a student’s paper on music therapy:

Much knowledge has been gained as to how and where music is processed in the brain. For instance, we know there is no specialized center for music purse.”

It took me a few seconds to realize that “purse” here meant “per se”. I’d do a web search to see if there are other examples of this one, but I can’t figure out what search terms to use to glean out the few (if any) eggcornish needles from the huge haystack of more prosaic uses of “purse”.

BTW, I can’t think of any eggcornish meaning connection between “purse” and “per se”. We can’t call this one an eggcorn, can we?

#11 2014-06-01 22:57:24

kem
Eggcornista

I can’t see any eggcorn qualities. Looks like something Dogberry might say.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#12 2014-06-02 11:31:27

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Looks to me likely to be a spell-checker correction from pur se , which would be a reasonable misspelling.

Per say? ¶ www.englishforums.com/English/PerSay/hrxn/post.htm ¶ 9 posts – ‎1 author ¶ Can anyone tell me the meaning of “per say”? Please put it in a … I was just about to spell the term incorrectly in an email at work ( as “pur say”). Thanks for …

(There are several pieces of fascinating commentary from a number of perps at the above URL.)
Or a loan from Italian ?

Yes: pur se means even if. I add it has a quite formal sense and anche se is the colloquial form while sebbene and seppure stand somewhat in the middle.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2014-06-02 11:43:18)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer