Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-11-28 11:16:51

klakritz
Eggcornista

'Teratology of Fallot' for 'Tetralogy of Fallot'

a tetralogy is something composed of four parts, just as a trilogy is composed of three. The Tetralogy of Fallot is a complex congenital heart syndrome with four distinct abnormalities. ‘Teratology’ is the study, literally, of monsters, but is mainly used to denote the study of congenital abnormalities. It’s natural to confuse these two obscure words, especially where they happen to overlap. ‘Tetralogy of Fallot’ gets 300k ghits and ‘Teratology of Fallot’ gets 16k. (Sorry to get all medical on you guys, but I think it’s pretty interesting!):

Repeated repair of teratology of Fallot: report of 11 cases and review of the literature …
cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=3706388

Teratology of fallot-CAVSD can be corrected at low risk and good intermediate survival.
linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0022522308016516

Teratology Fallot
Teratology of Fallot is a combination of four heart defects consisting of a large ventricular septal defect, displacement of the aorta. ...
www.lotsofessays.com/essay_search/Terat … allot.html

Cases with teratology of Fallot additionally showed a shorter outflow tract.
cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=16393619

Patients with severe congenital heart defects were further grouped into those with or without conotruncal defects, defined as teratology of Fallot, ...
www.medscape.com/viewarticle/703199_2

#2 2009-11-28 16:23:08

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'Teratology of Fallot' for 'Tetralogy of Fallot'

Nice! I found some other “hopeful monsters”: tetralogy of fallout and teratology of fallout.

The teratology of fallout is a natural confusion someone like me might make. I would have chosen it over tetralogy of Fallot on a multiple choice test for medical conditions. This double-yoker is not too common, as you would expect, and was corrected immediately by others.

pop quiz
Q.: SQUATTING POSITION in which disease we see the patients take this position?
A.: teratology of Fallout..in the pediatric age group. I guess
(http://www.medkaau.com/vb/archive/index.php?t-2700.html)
This user seemed to know that it should be capitalized, maybe it’s just a mistake.

Med students discuss exam content
2) Then we got Teratology of Fallout (This was the only Non-Random Section)
(http://pagingdr.proboards.com/index.cgi … hread=1666)

Bing finds 99 examples of “tetralogy of fallout”.

Board footer