Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-12-03 16:32:36

klakritz
Eggcornista

'jumped up charges' for 'trumped up charges'

A sequel to ‘drummed up charges.’ Also very common:

... has been arrested at least twice on jumped up charges, and badly beaten in custody.
www.networkforclimateaction.org.uk/.../ … nst_bp.doc

As if arresting you on jumped up charges isn’t bad enough…
xoke.org/2009/05/07/swine-flu-jokes/

This law was rarely invoked and gay men were able to live openly, but Leonardo was framed on jumped-up charges …
www.grahamhancock.com/forum/MWhite1.php

In 1942, Starostin was arrested on jumped-up charges of plotting to kill Stalin and taken to Lubyanka, the secret police HQ, for questioning.
www.cdi.org/Russia/johnson/5491-11.cfm

Several have been arrested on jumped up charges and the whole thing has turned from being wonderful fun and superb support to everybody …
www.footballforums.net/forums/showthread.php?p=5462275

... But usually they were just scapegoats on jumped-up charges.
news.bbc.co.uk/local/devon/hi/people_and…/8333758.stm

#2 2009-12-06 13:13:48

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'jumped up charges' for 'trumped up charges'

Is “jumped up” like “hopped up”, implying an increase of urgency or nervous energy, suggesting a rush to judgment? I think I’ve heard it used that way (not with charges but in other contexts).

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2012-09-10 18:46:38

larrybob
Eggcornista

Assange should face the trumpet music “You can claim they are trumpeted up charges if you like, but he still should go to court to either face the music or clear his name”

#4 2012-09-10 22:21:30

kem
Eggcornista

One wonders how many people who get it right—trumped up—actually image a trumpet rather than a card game.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#6 2012-09-11 21:31:32

burred
Eggcornista

Funny. Trampled up charges. They must have trampled on his rights. Like the victims of these false accusations, who were just innocent chumps.

I’m not fully convinced that these two so-called victims were actual victims. I truly believe that they were out to get some extra money so made up these chumped up charges against the coach.
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/lakelan … JD2BKRB3EH

Hello Penny, Guy Gadbois is currently in prison on chumped up charges but I will tell him you stopped by
http://www.myspace.com/539449784/comments

#7 2012-09-11 21:56:44

larrybob
Eggcornista

While “ramped up” as a verb phrase is a legitimate idiom, the use of it as a modifier of “charges” seems to be an eggcorn. It seems to change the meaning of the idiom (trumped up meaning fabricated) to charges which, while not completely unwarranted, are more severe than necessary.

Comment on Assange: “It makes me wonder if this is bigger than just the ramped up charges against him.”

Juvenile injustice: “The charges reported are completely unjust given the alleged act, and illustrate the widespread issue in juvenile justice of ramped up charges against young people whose behavior is typical of adolescents their age.”

Last edited by larrybob (2012-09-11 22:05:22)

#8 2012-10-22 20:30:57

buzhwa

chumped up! HA! Love it. Reminds me of my Vietnamese students who have informed me that the common name “Tran” actually sounds more like “Chan” (/tʃan/) to my ears.

#9 2017-02-09 21:35:20

creacher

I got an email referring to a former employee’s proposed letter of recommendation for himself as “triumphed up.” I really don’t know whether that was an eggcorn for “trumped up.” Maybe the writer could not bring herself to write “Trump” in any context. And the usual meaning of “trumped up” wouldn’t fit the context very well. But “triumphed up” is not exactly idiomatic. So I’m inclined to call eggcorn on it.

#10 2017-02-10 09:33:36

burred
Eggcornista

Interesting mutation. I remain agnostic because of the large pronunciation gap in triumphed up, and the lack of a clear meaning motivation. Maybe it’s a spell-check error based on trumphed up? Today, there are 45 raw hits for “trumphed up charges OR accusations OR evidence”, and 42 for “triumphed up charges OR accusations OR evidence”.

#11 2017-02-12 14:27:09

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

burred wrote:

Interesting mutation. I remain agnostic because of the large pronunciation gap in triumphed up, and the lack of a clear meaning motivation. Maybe it’s a spell-check error based on trumphed up? Today, there are 45 raw hits for “trumphed up charges OR accusations OR evidence”, and 42 for “triumphed up charges OR accusations OR evidence”.

“Trumphed up”, and maybe, by extension, “triumphed up”, could conceivably have an eggcornish meaning connection due to the “umph” being associated with imparting “umph” (or “oomph”) to something—that is, to energize it. There’s still a notable lack of pronunciation similarity between “triumph” and “trump”, but not so much for “trumph”/”trump”.

Board footer