Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-11 17:13:04

james

"succored into" for suckered into

Originally spotted as: MTB’s are the style of bikes which most puts people off cycling. Because the prices start so low, and supermarkets, catalogues and cheap outlets see them as some form of commodity like baked beans, meaning that many many people are succoured into buying a cheap “Mountain Bike”. (WhyCycle: Mountain Bikes)

Also:

Hopeless are those Red Sox fans who’ve already been succored into the Nation’s cult. (Dartmouth Independent )

I asked him how many other elderly people who have worked their whole lives to pay off a home have been succored into this. (forum post @ Debate Both Sides)

Unfortunately, only in the mind of people who have already been suckered—ops, I meant succored, into paying $10 a month for the past few years thinking it would be like subscribing to cable TV, where you get far cooler programming for your buck. (XM Radio Disses 1000s Of Its Subscribers)

The last one above is particularly interesting as the writer is clearly aware of the more common version of this phrase, but has rejected it in favour of the eggcorn.

Succoured does make a kind of sense.. After all to be “suckered into” is to be taken advantage of by being made into a sucker, while to be “succoured” presumably implies that something is duplicitously offering aid to someone in distress in order to take advantage of them.

Google counts:

suckered into: 403,000
succored into: 134
succoured into: 74

#2 2006-08-12 21:41:01

jaydrama

Re: "succored into" for suckered into

I’ve often joked that I wanted to make a movie about the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary called, “I’m gonna git you succor!”

Board footer