Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-12-11 10:39:30

terrycollmann

Sidled with

“Sidled with” for “saddled with” – malapropism rather than true eggcorn, I think, unless there’s some sense that the burdens people are “sidled” with have sidled up on them – comments?

www.sportsfanlive.com/hurd/tags/new
especially were we sidled with the responsibility that comes with trying to lift an entire family out of the poverty in the Dominican Republic

www.workhousepr.com/underground/celebrity/
Sidled with an abnormally large brain and hampered by the need to tell stories with pictures, Mucci’s bold illiteracy is something people can count on.

autos.canada.com/news/story.html
The United States faces its biggest budgetary deficit since the end of the Second World War, leaving taxpayers sidled with years of future liabilities

#2 2009-12-11 12:28:49

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Sidled with

Sidled with an unusually large brain – right or left brain?

#3 2009-12-11 12:31:32

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Or that the people are sidle-ined by their handicaps?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2009-12-11 15:16:20

kem
Eggcornista

It looks like the users have semantic compulsions in switching “sidle” for “saddle:” “sidled with” is vastly more common than “siddled with.” Simple spelling errors would have resulted in at least as many “siddles” as “sidles,” wouldn’t they?

Either the semantic path David suggests (“sidelined”) or the parallel misinterpretation of “sidled” to mean “moved to the side” must be at work. I suppose the image could also include the direct verbing of the noun “side” (i.e., something burdensome being attached to one’s side).

This error is woefully common on web pages. “Sidled with” has become a ugly stud on the mother tongue.

In looking through some of the thousands of examples of “sidled with” I came across a few that did not seem be perversions of “saddled with.” They were mostly in recipes. In the example below, from Esquire magazine, “sidled with” seems to be a version of “sided with.” COCA lists two other Esquire food reviews with “sidled with” used in this sense. I can’t find this meaning of “sidle” in any dictionary.

Esquire restaurant review: “Sweet soft-shell crabs are served with the best of the summer’s corn and tomatoes and local mozzarella; spit-roasted suckling pig, with crisp skin and silky fat, is sidled with a peach-filled empanada.”

Last edited by kem (2009-12-31 00:26:50)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#5 2009-12-13 01:21:10

patschwieterman
Administrator

Kem wrote

It looks like the users have semantic compulsions in switching “sidle” for “saddle:” “sidled with” is vastly more common than “siddled with.” Simple spelling errors would have resulted in at least as many “siddles” as “sidles,” wouldn’t they?

I’m not sure that frequency necessarily points to semantic compulsion. We’ve logged some pretty big numbers for WTF typos in which people seem randomly to substitute one standard word for another that’s vaguely similar in sound but very different in meaning. As I’ve confessed before, I commit WTFT’s all the time, and I’m quite sure I could substitute “sidle” for “saddle.” Also, people who are spellchecking their online posts (I’m not willing to wade into our earlier debates about whether most people are spellchecking most of the time) are more likely to let “sidled” through than “siddled.”

I think this is a malaprop, like terrycollman first opined, though the numbers are intriguing.That said, I like it. And I particularly like Kem’s “sidled with [side dish]” variant—I’d been unaware of that use of “sided with,” as well.

Board footer