Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-02-15 21:47:47

patschwieterman
Administrator

"umbellical cord" for "umbilical cord"

The umbellical cord attaches at the bilibutton. Very common – though I’m skeptical about the reading of 7.5 million raw hits (200 uGh) that Google is currently returning. Examples:

I left the room for one second the night they were born, and when i came back fajita was trying to eat the runt… I dont think most people are prepared to see something like that. It was vicious, there was blood everywhere and she was flailing it around in the air by his umbellical cord, trying to fit him into her mouth.
http://www.carelittle.com/dog-general-chat/g-0919.html

Sue showed my daughter a doll with an umbellical cord and placenta attached so that she could visualize our baby. It was an exciting thing. It is so funny to try and say “umbellical cord.”
http://www.thelaboroflove.com/pregnancy/liza/8.html

I have no problem with adult or umbellical cord research.
http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2009/02/stem-cells/

Again, bringing up the speculation that the nether tethers in the Durinvale are some kind of conduit/umbellical cord that gathers magic for the liches to power them up
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:G3 … =firefox-a

#2 2009-02-15 22:53:50

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "umbellical cord" for "umbilical cord"

What bells is it supposed to wring for us?
Another malapropism on this is to call it the unbiblical cord. I guess if you think of the Bible as holy and this as gross? (Presumably if you haven’t read the Bible, I guess… plenty of earthiness there.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2009-02-15 23:09:02

patschwieterman
Administrator

“Unbiblical cord” is probably even less persuasive as an eggcorn than “umbellical,” but I like it better. And it does indeed occur. This is from from the article “Activation of the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis With Repetitive Umbilical Cord Occlusion in the Preterm Ovine Fetuspage” by L. R. Green et al., on pp. 224ff. of Volume 7.4 (2000) of the Journal of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation (3 “umbiblical”; one “unbiblical”):

Objective: To determine whether repeated hypoxic insults with umbiblical cord occlusion over 4 days will lead to activation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis altered adrenocortical responsiveness in the preterm ovine fetus.

Methods: Umbiblical cord occlusions of 90 seconds duration were performed every 30 minutes for 3 to 5 hours each day (experimental group n = 7, control group n = 7; at 112-116 days’ gestation, term = 147 days).

Results: During umbiblical cord occlusions fetal arterial oxygen pressure (approximately) 17 mmHg) and pH (approximately 0.05) decreased, and carbon dioxide pressure increased (approximately 8 mmHg) as measured on days 1 and 4, but with no cumulative blood gas or pH change over successive occlusions for any of the 4 study days.

Conclusion: Repetitive unbiblical cord occlusion in the preterm ovine fetus resulted in the activation of the HPA axis, with increased adrenocortical responsiveness over time, and involved differential regulation of POMC mRNA expression in the pars ditalis and pars intermedia of the pituitary, but with no change in GR.

Interesting—you can’t even blame a spellchecker for the first three.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2009-02-15 23:11:40)

#4 2009-02-17 16:11:30

JonW719
Eggcornista

In additional to the umbellical cord “wringing” for us, the umbiblical also strikes a “chord”:

Newborn puppy umbiblical chord problems. Emergency please help …My Yorkie just gave birth to her first litter of t…
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080704155832AAV64us – 28k – Cached – Similar pages

Wordskill » Blog Archive » cut the umbiblical chordcut the umbiblical chord. Bathed in luminescent zeroes and ones, we bask in the rays of a binary star. Stunned by the beauty and our imminent mortality, ...
monkey.org/~kwits/blog/?p=44 – 4k – Cached – Similar pages

The Wedding of GodAnd God spoke saying, “Ye are connected to me by my umbiblical chord. Books are for the white people who know me not. “Is not the true bible my umbilical …
theweddingofgod.wordpress.com/ – 144k – Cached – Similar pages

U.S. finishes withdrawal from Uzbekistan base – Democratic UndergroundThe Balts, the Poles and the Ukrainians are now tied to a Russian gas umbiblical chord, and we can’t do a thing about it. ...
www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/d … 02×1939383 – 60k – Cached – Similar pages

Teaching Art for Social Change – The Art of EngagementOf 9, I severed my umbiblical chord & suffered no ill effects. In fact, I got nearer to an adherence of spiritual principles. ...
islandsinstitute.ning.com/forum/topics/1163070:Topic:1745 – 72k – Cached – Similar pages

The one where the writer calls the Bible um-biblical chord is my favorite.

Last edited by JonW719 (2009-02-17 16:16:00)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#5 2009-02-17 17:57:12

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Joe mentioned the ‘umbiblical’ variant some years ago:

umBIBLICAL cord (umbilical)
Google counts on Sept 16, 2006
7,270,000 umbilical
1640 umBIBLICAL … 882 “umBIBLICAL cord”
(509 emBIBLICAL … 18 “emBIBLICAL cord”)
Analysis by Joe Krozel
The umbilical cord is the cord that connects baby to mother, and must be severed at birth. “Biblical” refers to the Bible. Perhaps it is one’s view of the sacred nature of birth that leads one to “umBIBLICAL cord.”
Examples:
Cogent agrument..dems must cut their umbiblical cord to RoeCogent agrument..dems must cut their umbiblical cord to Roe. Author: Helen |; Date: 04-02-2006 |; Posted in: alt.appalachian |; Show original …
www.gatago.com/alt/appalachian/8185907.html – 9k – Cached – Similar pages

WINNERonline Gambling Discussion – To good to be true? Winning …Hated to , but I had to cut the embiblical cord even on Inetbet . I read a post on this board or maybe it was a different one , but the person wrote that …
mb.winneronline.com/printthread.html?t=16364&page=1&pp=10 – 18k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Good CausesI am a leukemia survivor, The need for blood donors, bone marrow donors, cord blood donors, donate your babies umbiblical cord. Plus my family, friends, ...
www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=goodcause … tion=prev5 – 8k – Cached – Similar pages

Comments for ConservativeHQ.com… of Stem Cell research that do not require an embryo – such as the stem cells coming from other sources like the babies umbiblical cord and so forth. ...
www.conservativehq.com/?feed=comments-rss2 – 26k – Cached – Similar pages

Handicapped Children: Should They Be Aborted?And again , an umbiblical cord is NOT artificial life support . And skirt the issue as you will , if you wouldnt kill a known relative , if we dont execute …
www.prolifetalk.com/message-board-forum … sc-30.html – 72k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

GENESIS TEACHES EVOLUTIONThe centrality of the tree symbolizes an umbiblical cord that connects the earth of humans with the heaven of god, just as other world-trees in other …
alt.mailarchive.ca/bible/2005-05/6481f95042812b75.html – Supplemental Result – Similar pages

Sequel to the “Butterfly Effect” [Archive] – Bodybuilding.com Forumsthe one where he goes back to when his mother is in labor and strangles himself with his umbiblical cord…dear god that was the most retarted thing i’ve …
forum.bodybuilding.com/archive/index.php/t-660824.html – 10k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Totally Free Stuff ForumsAnd God was definitly watching over us to make that decision , as his umbiblical cord was wrapped around his neck when first pulled out . ...
www.totallyfreestuff.com/forum/post.asp … ORUM_ID=11 – 60k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

#6 2009-02-17 20:40:55

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

My bad, missed that one.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#7 2009-02-17 21:40:46

patschwieterman
Administrator

I’d forgotten about Joe’s post, too, but I’m glad David T introduced us to the “unbiblical cord.”

#8 2010-01-01 20:17:45

David Bird
Eggcornista

Any chance that all those hits for unbiblical cord are making reference to the great belly-button controversy?

Board footer