Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2005-11-11 21:46:52

alecmcclay

"In-term" or "in term" for "interim"

I have frequently heard this in spoken use (as in “we have to submit an in-term report after 6 months and a final report at the end of the project”), but was never quite sure if this was just a mispronunciation. However, a Google search turned up 105 examples of “in-term report”, showing that at least some people believe this is the correct spelling. There were 4,460,000 hits for “interim report”. The eggcorn version does make intuitive sense – it sounds like a report that one writes within the term of a project, as opposed to a final report that you write when the project is finished. The actual derivation is of course from Latin, “ad interim” = “in the mean time”.

Examples
It seems that Kenneth McKay does not think that we have to do an in-term report.
http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/busin … 0-0702.htm

Even if you were to (by some stroke of genius) able to release an in term report before the next election, it could be shelved as un-official and so still money well spent.
http://www.agentorangealert.com/pages/6/

I tried to post this in the database but it doesn’t seem to be showing up, so I’m not sure if I am doing something wrong.

#2 2005-11-12 22:15:08

alecmcclay

Re: "In-term" or "in term" for "interim"

I also found 29 hits for “in-term solution”, e.g.,

Despite the Yankees’ struggles at second base this season, New York almost certainly will look outside the organization for an update. Of course, if injury and a lack of upper-level prospects lead the team to opt for an in-term solution for a couple months, Cosme looks like the best choice among Yankee minor leaguers.
http://www.rotohelp.com/archive/dailyrx/040510dr.html

#3 2005-11-14 12:59:36

Chris Waigl
Eggcorn Faerie
Website

Re: "In-term" or "in term" for "interim"

Added under your name, as you posted a draft. I’ve edited it somewhat: removed one of your cites, which talked about evaluation possibly in the middle of a school term, and added one for “on an in term basis”. I imagine the eggcorn shows up in all possible combinations of “interim” and is not specific to one collocation.

Board footer