Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-01-10 11:00:06

David Bird
Eggcornista

"chaste lounge" for "chaise longue"

September 2005: chaise lounge
November 2005: canapé for canopy
July 2006: remain chased
August 2006: chase lounge
December 2006: cut to the chaste
June 2009: chaste metal

Further variations that I call as interesting malaprops (the chaise longue is associated with “unchaste” pursuits, isn’t it?) and Franglais.

Jazz poetry
You got to have your props. I use a chaste lounge and a telephone.

Farm blog
My days of languishing on a chaste lounge, eating bon-bons and watching soap operas are officially history.

Australian resort
The open plan living area features a chaste lounge, HD LCD television, DVD/VIDEO …

To do list
buy a white chess lounge

Doggy comforts
Velvet Upholstered Chez Lounge

Online fiction
I lay down on the shay’s lounge chair,

Stock photography
Woman relaxing on a chez longue

Search
I’m searching for any Irish company that manufactures ‘Chez Long’ or more specifically ‘French Buffets’.

#2 2010-01-10 13:45:28

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "chaste lounge" for "chaise longue"

“Chez longue” is arguably a poteau rose, n’est-ce pas?

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2010-01-10 18:01:29

David Bird
Eggcornista

A chez longue is uniquely possible in English, I think – I’m sure your tongue was encheeked. But thinking further in that direction led to another gem, a “chaise langue” (tongue chair). Amazingly, that one is prevalent in English (or at least at the border between that and Dutch/Hindi/etc.) and also scored several French hits.

Online novel Lounging there on her side she looked like a diminutive Elizabeth Taylor [...] All she needed was a cigarette holder and chaise langue. I made a mental note.

#4 2010-12-19 17:27:37

kem
Eggcornista

“Chaise langue.” Not bad.

No, I was serious about “chez longue.” Thought it might be reaching for a meaning something like “a long place.” I also notice the idiom “longue de chez longue.” See http://www.google.com/search?q=%22longu … +longue%22 Any idea what that phrase might mean?

#5 2010-12-19 18:56:20

burred
Eggcornista

That’s a new one on me. It must mean “long from the House of Long”, as in the source, the family, the boutique that has raised being long to an art. The web is full de chez full of this in other forms: the masculine long de chez long; also, my uterus is fermé de chez fermé, my stereo is haut de chez haut, the tide is haute de chez haute, and Montreal’s heatwave is hot de chez hot. Cute de chez cute.

I couldn’t find any chez longues or longs to stretch out on on the web that weren’t in other languages.

Spanish pet luxuries
en este caso estoy armando un chez long para mi gatita Gordis
(in this case I’m putting together a chez long for my kitten Gordis)

Romanian review of Greek beach
si baruri la care erai obligat sa consumi ceva daca doreai un chez-long
(you were forced to eat something if you wanted a chez-long)

Catalan satire
senyora de Sarrià-Sant Gervasi, ajaguda en el chez long on ens guarim, Papitu, de les nostres humorístiques paranoies.
(Madame de Sarria-Sant Gervasi, lying on the chez long where we heal, Papitu, our comical paranoias.)

Italian design
La chez longue è di moda
(The chez longue is fashionable)

Last edited by burred (2010-12-19 19:36:55)

#6 2010-12-19 20:51:07

patschwieterman
Administrator

Okay, a post with translations from Catalan and Rumanian just has to win some kind of special end-of-the-year commendation.

#7 2010-12-19 23:40:04

kem
Eggcornista

”[Mot] de chez [mot même]” is presumably some kind of French snowclone (Whatever snowclone is in French. The French wikipedia article on “snowclone” says that “le terme n’a pas d’équivalent strict en français.”)

#8 2015-11-26 06:27:08

David Bird
Eggcornista

From a comment on a grammar blog:

I had French in high school. I’m not fluent at all, but I do have some basic pronunciation skills, so my husband will sometimes ask me how to pronounce a problematic word of French origin. I’m not much help. If we don’t pronounce “France” or “Paris” as the French do, then how should I know what to do with “chaise longue”? He calls it a “chase lounge” (I try not to cringe), and I call it a lounge chair, thus sidestepping the whole problem.
grammar blog

Board footer