Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-01-12 19:13:52

klakritz
Eggcornista

'lumber support' for 'lumbar support'

Maybe just a misspelling. But could not a device to keep your back straight also be made out of wood? Very common:

Lumber support system for a vehicle seat – Patent 4491364…
A lumber support system comprising an air bag disposed behind the upholstery sheet of a vehicle seat, a manual air pump and a valve assembly …
www.freepatentsonline.com/4491364.html

We can supply the best quality Comfortable Lumber Support to you.
www.openrussia.ru/.../Comfortable-Lumber-Support.htm

Find complete details about Sacro Lumber Support from Sai Orthocare International. You may also find variety of Sacro Lumber Support from other Suppliers …
www.tradekey.com/product_view/id/840255.htm

You have said that lighter people will not benefit from the lumber support of the Sealy Posturepedic Signature Ultra Plush mattresses, but I am wondering
blog.pennlive.com/mattress/.../trying_lumber_support_of_the_s.html

My adult son was complaining about his back hurting when he drove his truck, so I bought him this lumber support and he loves it.
www.amazon.com › ... › Braces & Supports

#2 2010-01-12 20:20:11

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'lumber support' for 'lumbar support'

Many driver’s seats in cars for sale feature “lumper support” as well. And a few have “lumpbar” support to make you really uncomfortable.

Last edited by David Bird (2010-01-12 20:22:28)

#3 2010-01-13 00:22:07

kem
Eggcornista

“Lumpbar support.” That’s a keeper. Only about a half dozen examples on the web, but the spelling is creative enough to make me think that it is more than a typo. The users may be thinking of a bar that makes a lump in the sacroiliac region of a seated driver to avoid bad-posture backaches.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2010-01-13 10:34:33

David Bird
Eggcornista

I think you’re right, Kem. The image of the “lumpbar” inside the seat, as an alternative to Ken’s “lumber”, came to me later.

I went poking around for other lumpy words. Lumbago is a great word for lower back pain, coming down to us unchanged from L.L. The lumbus led to our word loins. There are one or two instances of lumpbago out there, but what I did find of interest was a probable Spanish eggcorn: lumbajo, with the situation of “lower” made explicit. Lots of examples out there. Here are two, the first for a masseur in the classified ads from Spain, that should be mostly interpretable even for non hispanophones (cansancio is tiredness):

CERVICALES, lumbajo, ciática, insomnio, cansancio.
http://hemeroteca.abc.es/detalle.stm

The second describes aches, pains and sudden cramps, like back pain, that are a normal part of pregnancy:

la panza se pone contraida gradualmente cuando esta del todo contraida suele dar como dolor de regla y a veces como de lumbajo al minuto afloja y desaparece.
http://www.planetamama.com.ar/site/foro … 44f6e3244c

#5 2012-12-03 11:14:57

kem
Eggcornista

“Lumpar” is a common substitution for “lumbar.” An appropriate word for the section of the spine with large, lumpy vertebrae that poke into seat backs.

Post on health Q&A: “ I had an MRI for rotator cuff injury but they did a lumpar Spine MRI.”

Health forum: “Yes, they should do an MRi without contrast of the lumpar spine.”

Car description: “The driver side also offers lumpar support,”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer