Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-14 14:30:58

jorkel
Eggcornista

Double Eggcorn: "Fell on DEAF ears" vs. DEFT vs. deft.

I really wish I could find the source of this. It is my understanding that the original expression is: ”(It) fell on deft ears,” where “deft” means skilled or capable. The intended meaning is that warnings are acted upon by those most capable of acting on them—-or something like that! This might even have originated in a Shakespearean play, but I cannot locate it. (At any rate, someone really needs to straighten this out before I start spreading disinformation).

As an eggcorn, the meaning of the phrase gets turned upside down: ”(It) fell on DEAF ears” means that absolutely no one took heed. It would appear that the eggcorn becomes a double eggcorn when the phrase reverts to ”(It) fell on DEFT ears” while retaining the sense that absolutely no one took heed. Very curious indeed. It’s as if “deft” were construed as “deafed” which isn’t even a word! -Joe Krozel

Examples:

The Honolulu Advertiser Discussion Board – Affodable HousingBeing an appraiser who has been in the industry for a long time, I was in hopes my comments were not falling on deft ears and were of some value. ...
the.honoluluadvertiser.com/board/showthread.php?s=11edc505227d23f67f48c4851ff7a133&threadid=7566&... – 77k – Cached – Similar pages

Article – National NewsBut those pitches are likely to fall on deft ears if the party continues bungle efforts to respect the Black vote. News of the botched firings came as top …
www.blackpressusa.com/news/Article.asp? … ewsID=2884 – 30k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer