Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-14 15:04:59

jorkel
Eggcornista

"In our MITTS" vs. midst

Google count on Aug 14, 2006
125 “in our mitts”
3,460,000 “in our midst”

It is certainly conceivable that these two terms have nothing to do with one another, but I contend that the very choice of the word “mitts” derives from the more common word “midst”—-otherwise “in our mitts” might have shown no preference over “in our hands” or “in our gloves.” Since these variations are uncommon, the said phrase must be an eggcorn derived from “in our midst.” By the way, I refer to this method of testing whether a phrase is an eggcorn as my “variational principle.” -Joe Krozel

Nissan Murano NewsWednesday Jul 12 | Auto Manufacturing News. Nissan teased us with a drawing of the Murano GT-C , but now we have in our mitts pictures of the real thing. ...
www.topix.net/autos/nissan-murano – 34k – Cached – Similar pages

ProClockers @@ Review -> Scythe Katana Heatpipe CoolerNow we have in our mitts the little brother to the Ninja. The Scythe Katana. Today we will see how well it stacks up to big brother. About Scythe …
www.pro-clockers.com/article.php?id=34&page=1 – 33k – Cached – Similar pages

Painting Courses – sample of endorsementsNow that we have the photos (thanks), in our mitts, we are heading off this weekend to get ourselves kitted out and aim to finish the masterpieces on Sunday …
www.anglowebs.com/courses/endorsements.htm – 23k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer