Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-10-07 14:32:50

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Living room come kitchen

Ante scriptum: I shall be as delicate and circumspect as possible in not writing this word as it should be written because I dread to think what it might do to some people’s safe surfing filters!

Plenty of google hits for this particular combo and more for others. Obviously there are reasons why the correct spelling is not used: ignorance of Latin one and the unfortunate connotations of the correct spelling another. But I suppose spelling it “come” is somehow explained in the minds of the perpetrators, which is what makes it an eggcorn, I hope. It’s also amusing to think that this is some kind of mirror-image of how often “come” is spelt on other occasions in the way that “come” should be spelt on this one. If you see what I mean.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2009-12-30 18:09:06

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Living room come kitchen

Has this forum really overlooked “come” for “cum” until now? Apparently so.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2010-01-20 01:46:32

rustycusak
Website

Actually my living room is Navajo White (like a cream color) and the carpet is beige, my sofa is dark olive, and recliner is beige. I wanted to spice it up so I took down the vertical blinds over the sliders, and hung some deep red curtains. I also bought a lamp with a red shade, and a red throw blanket. I think it gives it just enough color, without the headache of painting.

Thanks.

#4 2010-01-20 13:47:27

jorkel
Eggcornista

Great find, and very credible: I don’t have to strain my imagination to believe it. Ergo, this one is already on my Best-of-2010 list.

Board footer