Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-14 08:34:27

MichaelK

A couple of possibilities?

What a great site. I’ve been observing eggcorns in the wild for many years, and I’m pleased to find them corralled into these pages.

How about these:

Years ago, I had a student write that she became so nervous (at a marching band concert, no less!) that she almost “lost her composer.” A Google search on the term turns up a few instances, though it may be too infrequent to truly qualify for the database.

What about “trying to make amens?” I’ve heard it used fairly often, and Google turns up loads of instances.

Finally—and this may not qualify at all, but I thought this group would surely appreciate it—I had another student describe the problem in her workplace as “to many chiefs, not enough Indians.” I think that’s probably every manager’s problem, don’t you?

#2 2006-08-14 11:05:42

Jim Dixon

Re: A couple of possibilities?

What’s wrong with “too many chiefs, not enough Indians”? Isn’t that the way that phrase is normally expressed?

#3 2006-08-14 14:12:31

MichaelK

Jim Dixon wrote:

What’s wrong with “too many chiefs, not enough Indians”? Isn’t that the way that phrase is normally expressed?

Yes, it is … but read my post again.

#4 2006-08-14 15:10:15

Jim Dixon

OK, I think I get it now. You were commenting on the spelling “to” for “too.” Mistakes like that (and much worse) are so commonplace at the web site I normally frequent, that I habitually ignore them.

#5 2006-08-14 20:39:28

MichaelK

Jim Dixon wrote:

OK, I think I get it now. You were commenting on the spelling “to” for “too.” Mistakes like that (and much worse) are so commonplace at the web site I normally frequent, that I habitually ignore them.

Actually, it’s not a comment on the spelling, mistaken though it may be. It’s just that using “to” instead of “too” gives the phrase a completely different meaning. “Too many chiefs, not enough Indians” describes a top-heavy organization. “To many chiefs, not enough Indians” suggests that from the perspective of many chiefs, the opposite is true.

Does that make any more sense?

Board footer