Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-01-26 20:18:32

David Bird
Eggcornista

"wild far" for wildfire

A frontiersman’s eggcorn: “wild far” for wildfire. Seems too cute to be real, I filed it here on “other” until proven eggcornish.

shudder Internet advertising This is spreading like wildfar around the blogosphere, so let’s hope it’s not all hype…

too much info on MySpace And yeah mann the herpes are spreading like wild far but sucks for you.your face looks wayy worse than my coochie ha guess u get what you pay for.

Risks of social media The news spread like wild far with chain emails urging people to boycott Starbucks.

Favourite fast food joint They popep up everywhere spreading like wild far as interest was inflated.

#2 2010-01-26 21:47:06

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "wild far" for wildfire

Eggcornish would be my guess: spreading wild and far makes very good sense.
Somewhat related:

Pain. It spread like widefire through his body as the crimson blood flowed.

it’s spreading like wildflower

it’s been growing like wildflower

news and bios of the band whose popularity is growing like wildflowers.

It’ll spread like wired-file…wildfire

In the United States, from the 17th century on, it spread wildly and intermittently to innumerable places.

The disease is wild spread and many people are infected.

“Growing like wildflowers” and “spreading wildly” might well be eggcorns if they are truly standard for anybody. I know a person for whom I suspect that “growing like wildflower” (no -s) may be standard, but I cannot really ask her, and I would not be surprised if she did say “wildfire” next time. (She is a goal mind for bloopers of many sorts.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-01-26 23:12:16

kem
Eggcornista

“Spread like wildflowers” is in the Eggcorn Database.

Last edited by kem (2010-01-26 23:13:01)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2010-01-26 23:17:30

David Bird
Eggcornista

Wonderful additions, David. I loved “spread like wildflower,” even if it’s been spotted before (I thought it looked familiar). Bulwer-Lytton award: it spread wildly and intermittently to innumerable places.

Your post sent me looking for a long shot. This gnonce must come from a pastry cook:

Special babyseat prices cause a stir on mother board
Apparently it had been on since Nov. 16 some places were saying and i guess it took a day or two to spread like wildflour.

#5 2010-01-27 02:54:36

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Another variant is this yoof-speakish one which is popular with non-native speakers:

... HEARTS HAVE BECOME SO BITTER AND DARK AS SOON AS YOU HEAR SOMETHING BAD YOU SCATTER IT LIKE DRY LEAF IN THE WIND AND BURN IT TO SPREAD LIKE WHILE FIRE . . .

and stop corrupting the people with their racial sickness which spreads like while fire when crime and injustice occurs. Insider …

Board footer