Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-01-27 20:04:44

klakritz
Eggcornista

rambunctious/rumbunctious/rumbustious/robustious

These 4 words all mean the same thing and presumably descended with modification from a common ancestor. Which came first?

The online dictionaries are vague, but at least one ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rumbustious) suggests that ‘robustious’ was the original and that ‘rumbustious’ is a corruption of it. And if you see ‘rumble’ or ‘rum’ (meaning weird or strange) within ‘rumbustious,’ it’s a plausible eggcorn gone mainstream.

The same dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rambunctious) describes ‘rambunctious’ as a specifically American variation on ‘rumbunctious.’ Again, if you see ‘ram’ in ‘rambunctious,’ it may be another old eggcorn.

Does anyone out there have a better understanding of this word family and its genealogy?

#2 2010-01-29 10:51:51

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: rambunctious/rumbunctious/rumbustious/robustious

Great self-referential word history. Thinking about it, there may be a vast field of variants of rambunctious. Here is an interesting one. They are rambunches; he is rambunch. Might be mostly misspellings, though.

The grandkids blog
Yes, they are loud, rambunches and sometimes wild little things

Dating site
I have a 3 year son who is a rambunch child.

#3 2013-03-06 11:44:46

kem
Eggcornista

Re: rambunctious/rumbunctious/rumbustious/robustious

Seems like the spellings “rambuckous/rambucktous/rambucktious/rambuckious” have that eggcorn smell. Can’t get much more rambunctious than a bucking bronco. A few dozen exemplars on the web.

Comment on a Flickr photo: “Riley is a bit rambuckous...what was in that yogurt cup? ”

Web forum post: “Sorry if I posted threads out of place. I guess I was just getting to rambuckous !”

Mom forum comment: “He is rambuckous and outgoing”

Book roleplay: “Full of loud, rambucktous spirit and emotion in everything.”

Harry Potter blog: “Lily was in Hermone’s arms, the most rambucktous Potter to date at the age of 2. ”

Web tabloid reader comment: “I have to shoo away when he becomes to rambucktious to customers.”

Fiction of some kind: “The class is rambuckious, as I lay down my head. Watching the clock.”

Last edited by kem (2013-03-07 09:27:49)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer