Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-02-11 22:09:36

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

cohorce = coerce

This one is used in the movie The Soloist (which I saw last night for the first time) by a Black character who is corrected in an aside by the Latino reporter lead character. It does seem to occur quite a few times on the web (not many thousands), spelt with a c or an s , and nominalized with either t or an s . It seems likely that it is standard for some:

She becomes friends with guys on MYSPACE and trys to cohorse them into a relationship,

They want to use it to bring it to schools to sho of and maybe cohorse them to come to school here or sumpin.

I figured if she was alone I could cohorce her into a ten buck tip… shocked. No such luck of course

While I was leaving to go home a couple of girls from Seattle here on vacation tried to cohorce me up to their room. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas

Several of my friends back home have been trying to cohorce me into getting a Facebook since I’m so rarely home but have met with my stanch refusal

No set time date as of yet, but I’m gonna try and cohorce him into it either today or tomorrow.

Terrorism is the use of fear to cohorce. How is what the Republicans do every election not terrorism?

Has long has they diden’t do anything illegal to cohorce her and she is of age it was her choice not hers

Communism and any type of statism is very similar to organized religion, they both aim to rule by force, or cohortion.

I think he used verbal cohortion all those years at the start to get her to marry & stay & that’s why he’d started to question her

He also began to beleive though the north was wrongly opressing their willful cohortion upon the South as the war grew on

If you point a gum at my head and ask me to sign my house in your name of course I will do it but it has no legal value and I will not hold myself responsible for that signature. It is called cohorsion. That is the terrible thing about Christianity. Do as I say or you will burn in Hell.

I guess it’s most likely a blend of coerce with force , with the idea of a cohort fitting in there somehow. (Generally when you call in your cohort(s) it’s to force something to happen that others are likely to oppose. The fact that the Latin nom.sg. citation form was cohors is probably not very relevant.) Co-opt as well? Do horse and maybe even whores have anything to do with it? Do other “forceful” words beginning with co have any influence ( correct, collect, compel , others)? The meanings seem to range from coercion or forcing through obliging to persuasion or even enticing. Is it in fact standard in some variety(ies) of Black speech?
Anyway, it got my attention.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-02-12 19:23:15)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2010-02-12 10:27:45

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: cohorce = coerce

Extortion is likely in there as well.

#3 2010-02-12 12:49:54

David Bird
Eggcornista

There must be something important going on there in order to be so common. It looks to me like it might be a blend between coerce and exhort, which are at a similar level of unfamiliarity I’d guess. Another common blend is “cohearse”. Cohorse and cohorce gain force, I think, as you say, by resonance with horse and force. On the other hand, to rehearse does not bring up images of a hearse.

Last edited by David Bird (2010-02-12 14:10:53)

#4 2010-02-12 14:50:31

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Yes, exhort .
Cohearse could be a phonological sort of thing, since the o-e transition of coerce is not a very common or natural one for English. There’s also cohere, cohabit (?) and other cohV words for patterns or blending sources.
Blends like these which are (most likely) motivated by unfamiliarity of the words involved have a whole lot in common with (other kinds of) malapropisms.

#5 2010-02-12 17:46:05

patschwieterman
Administrator

The cohorce/cohortion pairing made me wonder whether extorce/extortion would also work—and sure enough, there’s a small handful of English hits for extorce/-d/-ing (and quite a few more in Portuguese).

#6 2010-02-12 19:21:14

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Extorce would almost certainly be a back-formation, though: extortion is perfectly standard, as cohortion is not.

#7 2015-11-30 17:57:41

David Bird
Eggcornista

Other forms of coercion. The first is very common – hundreds of hits. I’m not sure what to make of it:

What if a confession was coarsed from you by police?
A friend of mine was recently coarsed into giving a confession to something he did not do.
Yahoo questions

This is something that I can’t be convinced or coarsed into getting over.
malady forum

Is that one syllable or two? I can’t be arsed, but I can be coarsed? One syllable seems more likely; they have been rough, rude, unmannerly, and coarsed me into it.

An example of cohearsed, which does make me think of peer pressure and rehearsal.

I have had friends and as a nurse know of people cohearsed into it by family and boyfriends
blog

More precious for its rarity… too bad it’s a phonetic leap:

what about women who are co herded into abortion?
blog

#8 2015-12-01 11:14:24

David Bird
Eggcornista

DavidTuggy wrote:

Do horse and maybe even whores have anything to do with it?

At my age, I’ll stay away from whores for the moment, but I did find these nags, wherein horsemanship is distinctly emphasized:

community complaint I was co horsed to write up a statement about my situation and told what to put in it, the next day I was fired.

Politics You could hear him give a slight chuckle when Foley fucked up and admitted Aristide was co horsed to leave Haiti.

Art review enforcing its will and denying nature its entitled majestic splendor, and co horsed to give way to “Herr Kienzl’s” vision was fresh with brutal elegance

#9 2015-12-03 08:02:42

David Bird
Eggcornista

Despite your better judgment you may be co-worst into something.

Prurient topix I was co-worst into sex once, and I found it was really the hottest thing

Legal advice OP: Dear Stuart, Can you advise what a cause of action actually is?
Lawyer: If the case was settled and the consent order was sealed that draws a line under it and the only time it would be possible to get it reopened is if you had been co-worst into signing the consent order under some kind of pressure/duress.

Amazon pink literature comment Not into this type of story. She was co-worse into it

Game review That puts a serious damper on the game, and the difficulty spikes that co-worse you into buying better monsters and spending all your money

#10 2015-12-03 08:17:01

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

worser + worser = co-worser or even co-worst (?)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2015-12-03 08:19:06)

#11 2015-12-03 18:06:53

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Either that, or he knows he can curse them into submitting to his policies for job creation in the city.
accounting site

well one thing u should not do is try and curse them into being ur friend
Q&A site

Healing miracles are of God. They happen in God’s way and in God’s good time. You can’t force them to happen. You can’t curse them into being.
religious codswallop

Eggcorn? I think so.

#12 2015-12-03 19:04:59

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

And here’s another:

...also keep your kids away from his wife she acts very suspect and trys to course them into her house keep a very close eye on them…
FB page

Rome couldn’t change them or course them into assimilating known world thought, so how will any moderates?
political discussion

“Course” could be understood as meaning to set someone on a course that will take them where you want them to go. Eggcorn, sez I.

#13 2015-12-03 20:56:57

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Course it is!

#14 2015-12-04 01:39:24

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

This is an interesting eggcornical congeries: coerce/cohorse/cohorce/cohearse/coarse/co herd/co-worst/co-worse/curse/coarse—and maybe more?

#15 2015-12-04 12:44:01

kem
Eggcornista

There was a young man from the north
who replaced “coerce” with “co-horse.”
When asked why he did it
he started to fidget.
“I think I need a refresher course.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#16 2015-12-04 13:18:23

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Oooooh! Kem co-orses us all.

Board footer