Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-02-13 14:33:08

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Boast well" for bode well

Boast well may be a blend between bode well and boast, in the sense of “something to be proud of”. So this is one that runs up against the “change of meaning” fence that I put up around the true best eggcorns. That criterion was adopted after accepting tocayo Tuggy’s remarks about lookrative here. Just to stir things up a bit.

It may not boast well for you should your customers or your competition stumble upon another website that uses the same web template for their website.
(http://www.deanchu.ca/web-design/free-w … ates.shtml)

Germany’s declaration of uncoditional submarine warfare did not boast well with the USA.
(http://www.battlefront.com/community/sh … ?p=1173725)

#2 2010-02-13 15:47:56

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "Boast well" for bode well

Holy cow! Talk about low-lying fruit! Have we really overlooked this one up until now?

My usual comment applies regarding reshapings that sound legitimate (in and of themselves): Odds are the usage “boasts well” wouldn’t have existed if the usage “bodes well” hadn’t existed first. For me that at least carries the scent of an eggcorn.

Georgia Centers of Innovation This honor boasts well for the manufacturing industry in Georgia. Please read below. Nordson Corporation’s Swainsboro, GA manufacturing and assembly facility has been …
manufacturing.georgiainnovation.org/blog/list/3 · Cached page

Coyote Gulch The reservoir levels were also higher than average here in the Dillon Reservoir at the end of the summer last year, which boasts well for the early rafting season.
radio-weblogs.com/0101170/2007/05/14.html · Cached page

Last edited by jorkel (2010-02-13 15:53:06)

#3 2010-02-13 16:46:46

klakritz
Eggcornista

Low-hanging fruit indeed, but first plucked in July 2007 (search on ‘boasts’ rather than ’ ‘boast’).

#4 2010-02-13 16:48:15

patschwieterman
Administrator

My second time seconding Joe today. I’m the resident skeptic, but I think this one has enough potential to go on the “Contribute” page as a bonified eggcorn. Some users are clearly using “boasts” in the exact same context as “bodes,” and the semantic justification works for me.

I thought this looked familiar, but I didn’t find any evidence that it’d been discussed before. Nice find.

#5 2010-02-13 17:49:42

David Bird
Eggcornista

Low-hanging fruit, but already chewed! I should know better by now!

#6 2010-02-14 11:59:00

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I tried “boats well” (for it bodes well if the boat boats well, but bodes ill if it doesn’t,) without success. Changing tack a little I caught what might be a useful breeze:

That doesn’t boat well with women, they want a guy to open up that aspect up as well with them. They want your soul, not just you. ...

Average day: Creep-radiohead. I knew my life was weird but thats unfair. First date: I predict a riot-kaiser chiefs. That doesn’ t boat well for the future. ...

If the rest is this poor quality it doesn’t boat well for the site’s future. I don’t have much to say about this small and VERY new site. ...

#7 2010-02-14 13:23:59

patschwieterman
Administrator

I had a post on “boards well” and “boats well” here: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=3225

#8 2010-02-14 13:38:06

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Ah, not so useful a breeze then – a fair bit of regurgitation going on in this tread.

Board footer