Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-10 09:08:46

Bachnagairn

Boyed up

I’m not sure if this does count as an eggcorn or not…

Referring mistakenly to things being boyed up, instead of buoyed, up seems like one. It doesn’t appear that it’s an alternate spelling or anything like that.

But according to this http://www.slangsite.com/slang/B.html it’s specific slang for the sorts of cars driven by boy racers. So does it count if it has deliberately been altered, or does it have to be a complete mistake? Do I have to track down a car enthusiast and ask if he knows where it comes from and, more importantly, what phrase it’s been transformed from?

#2 2006-08-16 10:13:09

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Boyed up

This potential eggcorn is a hard one to crack. So, drop down to my final paragraph if I seem a bit longwinded.

There seem to be two uses for “boyed up.”
First, there are those posts where something (usually a car) gets accessories that would appeal to a man or a boy. This sense of “boy,” i.e., a male, would appear to be the source of the phrase “boyed up”...

400GreyBike.co.ukIm not normally one for boyed up cars but yours is cool coz its not too much and not over the top , tastefully doen sir well done ! [ / quote ] ...
www.400greybike.co.uk/Forum/post.asp?me … FORUM_ID=6 – 43k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

[DOC] The Undertaking [Powered by Invision Power Board]File Format: Microsoft Word – View as HTML
and sounds! just think how cool it would be to run over 20 boyed up cars in a … I have seen mods which do this, like replacing the car with a boyed up one …
theundertaking.com/index.php?act=Print&client=wordr&f=7&t=446 – Supplemental Result – Similar pages
pseudodictionary – the dictionary for words that wouldn’t make it …eg, Darren had boyed up his tart box by putting neon lights on the underside. Consequently, everyone thought of him as a mental pygmy. ...
www.pseudodictionary.com/search.php?let … estart=100 – 29k – Cached – Similar pages . .
Second, there are those posts that use “boyed up” as an improper spelling of “bouyed up.”

portland imc – 2003.06.09 – Oil from Garbage?It is boyed up to the top of the atmosphere and blown away by the solar wind. Or, it may possibly find an ozone molecule and combine to form water again. ...
portland.indymedia.org/en/2003/06/266167.shtml – 50k – Cached – Similar pages

EQUAL PARENTING COUNCIL BLOG: 06/01/2005 – 06/30/2005Anthony Douglas was so boyed-up by his success in duping Matt O’Connor that he emailed me last night seeking “dialogue” with EPC, provided we cease naming …
equalparenting.blogspot.com/2005_06_01_equalparenting_archive.html – 40k – Cached – Similar pages

. . .
But now, the closest I have come to a crossover between these usages is with the following posts. Both are posts which make references to cars, but they use the phrase “boyed up” in a sense that is close but not equivalent to “bouyed up.” I’m almost convinced that the writer below uses the phrase “boyed up” to mean that the driver is pumped up with adrenalin as only a boy (male) would be after winning a big race.

AdrenalinTrip Forums – MX Vintage – Narberth YesterdayMr Wandering (obviously boyed up with his success on Saturday) was on fire taking race win after race win, i need his autograph. Me, i won a few! ...
adrenalintrip.extreme.com/forum/viewtopic/60/168358?siteid=1 – 22k – Aug 14, 2006 – Cached – Similar pages

honda-forums.com: CB1300 => splutterI feel boyed up with your encouragement . . . will call the garage . . . it’s just I ’ m getting tired of it now . . . ...
forum.honda-forums.com/index.php?t=msg&th=5493&prevloaded=1&S=488b09f7293044495d0db9c42be2ba4… – 41k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer