Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2010-02-22 20:11:53

lawmel

"ice tea" instead of "iced tea"

I have seen this on many menus. I’m new to this, so I am not sure that this is a true eggcorn. I believe the origin for this is lazy pronunciation, failing to give appropriate enunciation of both consonants (“d” and “t”) in this combination. Anyway, here it is!

#2 2010-02-22 20:48:12

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "ice tea" instead of "iced tea"

Welcome, lawmel. This kind of thing is a point of contention among us at times. I’m convinced that grammar is in general meaningful, and thus inclined to be somewhat sympathetic to the view that a slight grammatical change like this one, be it inspired by lazy pronunciation or not, can constitute a kind of acorn. But I think we’re all in agreement that it is at best a subtle, not-very-striking sort of meaning change, and thus this would be, if an acorn at all, not a first-class one. Still, you’re demonstrating a good ear, and this is certainly a real variant.
I seem to remember (though I’m too lazy/busy to look it up at the moment) that what we now call ice cream was originally iced cream ; I would assume the etymological path would be parallel.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-02-23 02:27:45

klakritz
Eggcornista

Just like ‘skimmed milk’ turned into ‘skim milk.’

#4 2010-02-23 05:57:40

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Serendipitously, this is being discussed on the Language Log:

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2130

Board footer