Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-07-10 10:00:21

aaronsw

thrown for a loop -> thrown through a loop

“thru” and “threw” are 5 and 8 respectively on a google query

“through” has 60 googhits

Last edited by aaronsw (2006-07-10 10:01:00)

#2 2006-08-16 13:29:19

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: thrown for a loop -> thrown through a loop

Google hits on Aug 16, 2006
<50 “Thrown through a loop”
146,000 “Thrown for a loop”

“For a loop” means “into a state of amazement, confusion, or distress,” and “throwing for a loop” refers to sending a person around in circles (figuratively) to dizzy them up or stop their otherwise straight-line progress.
It is possible that “through” is used as a synonym for “for” when saying “thrown through a loop.” If that is the case, then it’s not an eggcorn.

On the other hand, to be “thrown through a loop” also conjures up images of circus animals being forced to jump through a hoop (which takes the shape of a loop). Clearly, this could create distress for a different reason: perhaps reluctance to go somewhere unwilling. But, I don’t see how being thrown THROUGH a loop would create amazement or confusion. Just annoyance.

After having said that, I still think that most examples still conjure up the sense of a victim in amazement or confusion rather than unwillingness. It’s hard to know for sure what image the writers would intend, so I’m back to a square one trying to find the distinction. Eggcorn still pending.

Examples:

AnimeNfo.ComTheir casual lives get thrown through a loop when Ayumi comes to try and make Haruo into a man(if you know what I mean ). Her reasons; she was cursed when …
www.animenfo.com/review.php?id=3552&n=x … type=anime – 34k – Cached – Similar pages

SoundtrackCollector: Soundtrack reviews: Guess Who’s Coming To DinnerThe parents (Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn) are overjoyed by the wonderful news but are thrown through a loop when he turns out to be darker than the …
www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/sou … 8&labelid= – 17k – Cached – Similar pages

Rotten Tomatoes Forums – Don Vito Corleone’s Journey Through Cinema!Well, I know you were thrown through a loop by it, so you don’t have to actually explain it. But I was thinking about watching it and I actually know …
www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=334572 – 193k – Cached – Similar pages
Apparently someone addressed this issue elsewhere, but who can even find anything on his unstructured website? If you can find it, please let the rest of us know what it contributes.

Articles posted by: Tony CooperI was absolutely thrown through a loop. Eggcorn? can’t seem to be able to – what’s the meaning in · Usage of prefixes and suffixes …
www.gatago.com/authors_pgs/8258.html – 155k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer