Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-17 15:07:17

jorkel
Eggcornista

GROUND WELL of support. (Ground swell)

In it’s most literal sense, a “ground swell” is a geological event whereby a ground disturbance at one location on the map causes the ocean level to swell and have an effect elsewhere. The figurative extrapolation of this is a political movement that grows in popular support (presumably from some triggering event).

It is conceivable that a person might hear the term “ground swell” and hear it as “ground’s well,” i.e., a well in the ground. In this sense, a well may be perceived as a ready supply of something. So even “a ground well of support” comports with the notion of a ready number of supporters.
-Joe Krozel

Examples:

Romania Courts Former MonarchBut, as witnessed by the modest group welcoming him back to his home, there is no great ground-well of support for an institution most have consigned to the …
www.iwpr.net/?p=bcr&s=f&o=248972&apc_state=henibcr2001 – 61k – Cached – Similar pages

Law student pledges a more useful GPSA – Daily Lobo – News”I want to get a ground well of graduate students together to know what we do and appreciate it, and I want GPSA to appreciate them,” Vargas said. ...
www.dailylobo.com/news/2004/04/15/News/ … 1123.shtml – 46k – Cached – Similar pages

Babes In Toyland Boto (W) Rap LYRICSShake this ground well of hate This is why I rot away This is why I rot away today Cause you wear this mistake that you make That mostly that you make …
lyrics.duble.com/lyrics/B/babes-in-toyland-lyrics/babes-in-toyland-boto-w-rap-lyrics.htm – 8k – Cached – Similar pages

Romania Courts Former MonarchBut, as witnessed by the modest group welcoming him back to his home, there is no great ground-well of support for an institution most have consigned to the …
www.iwpr.net/?p=bcr&s=f&o=248972&apc_state=henibcr2001 – 61k – Cached – Similar pages

Reading – 26/10/03This is taking place now, in many subtle ways, which will manifest soon, in a ground well of awakening. What Joy!! Be patient. ...
www.principalityofcamside.cc/Channellin … _10_26.htm – 8k – Cached – Similar pages

Blogcritics.org: The Amazing Tom WilsonLooks like you’re getting a ground well of support. As people find out and spread the word I’m sure you can help make it happen. ...
blogcritics.org/archives/2003/10/23/154347.php – 83k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer