Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-03-26 10:54:12

jorkel
Eggcornista

A whole RAY of (array)

An array is a line of ordered items, and a ray is a line of radiance, so the two share certain common elements. (I didn’t check too carefully to see how the etymology of “ray” and “array” are related … they seem different at first glance). Although some similarity of meaning is present, I’m not sure I can make full sense of the substitutional imagery except for a couple instances (below) where color is mentioned: the implicit notion that a ray of light consists an array of colors (by interaction with a prism).

Aside from hearing “a whole ray of…” on the radio today, I have these other examples:

“Building And Releasing People For Endtime Harvest …Subjects include The Life of Christ, Personal Evangelism, Post Exilic Era, Pentateuch and a whole ray of other subjects. Fees for the course are very reasonable.
www.ffwmi.com/Schools

PC widescreen wallpaper, Superman’s home, CryptonTheres also red, black, gold, a whole ray of colours each affecting superman in different ways. I knew what this was before i even clicked on it, good job hey
wallpapers.jurko.net/widescreen/pic/370

Testing the first supersonic aircraftOther pilots, like John Griffith, Scott Crossfield Stan Burchard and a whole ray of others came along after me and flew the same basic airplanes configured a little …
oea.larc.nasa.gov/PAIS/Supersonic.html

How to Videos on MonkeySee – Free Instructional VideosI think that what’s most helpful if you think first in terms of colors, flowers come in a whole ray of colors. You have your bright and vivid colors, you have your subtle tones.
www.monkeysee.com/video_clips/transcript_print/13472

afreudianslip on XangaShe’s shoveling (and she’s got a whole ray of heart problems, which this was not good for her) I’m digging by hand, without gloves, and low and behold the piece of shit wanders …
afreudianslip.xanga.com

#2 2010-03-26 15:38:45

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: A whole RAY of (array)

Nice. I wonder if there’s some connection with “a whole range of”.

Since “a whole ray of” is in reach, I wondered if “a hooray of” could be the next step. 6 hits.

Cross-cultural magazine
A good example to that came two years ago, when she won the poetry contest in Martinique over a hooray of many contestants.

#3 2010-03-27 19:29:29

jorkel
Eggcornista

Good point about “range.” Interesting notion that as one hears both “range” and “array” over time that the blend “ray” may subconsciously emerge. (I didn’t feel like checking for “arrange” ... which is a lengthened blend).

LOL about the “hooray”.

Last edited by jorkel (2010-03-27 19:33:46)

#4 2010-03-27 20:38:22

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

these boots are available in quite a arrange of colors that arrange from pastel to gleaming

If the Auras with their beautiful arrange of colors, ... Color film can capture an incredible arrange of colors that are invisible to the

Our toluene & formaldehyde free L.A. nail polishes come in a pretty arrange of colors to choose from, you’re sure to have the prettiest nails around.

(and thousands more with arranges of colors alone.)
Likely “an arrangement of” is involved in the blending here as well, but it does seem at least possible that some would not use/know the word range in the sense of “spectrum, graded set of possibilities” and think all the times they’d heard it the word was “arrange”.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-03-27 20:55:02)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer