Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-03-30 20:28:11

David Bird
Eggcornista

"hollow deck" for holodeck

The computer on the Enterprise created an illusionary world, by creating false perceptions in the occupants of the “holodeck”, an otherwise empty room on the ship – a hollow deck.

Train simulator
This development marks the beginning of practical use of the hollow deck concept, the room with perpendicular grids – so prominent in the Star Trek Universe, creating a tangible reality from illusion – that became the basis of some of the best episodes

Star Trek 2009: why it sucked
Scotty goes to the hollow deck and recreates the bridge of the original enterprise.

Sci fi musings
The very last episode of Enterprise was a complete disappointment with the implication the entire series was a “hollow deck” program.

#2 2010-03-30 22:39:59

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "hollow deck" for holodeck

The Star Track series has given English a number of new words. Some of them are eminently eggcornable. Besides “hollowdeck” we have set fazers to stun, the Vulcan mind melt, and the ever-patient await team.

Resistance is futile.

Last edited by kem (2010-03-30 23:05:52)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2010-03-31 15:27:22

David Bird
Eggcornista

The fazer is so appropriate that you have to wonder whether there was not some strong flavour of the word in the original choice of phaser. They wouldn’t have had to specify the energy setting for a fazer – it just fazes.

Loved the “await team”!

Let’s see, the roundtripper faze->phase is venerable; it was the fifth entry on this forum. And resurfaced in 2008 as unfazed->unphased, where klakritz wrote:

One writes, ‘It’s just a phase he’s going through,’ to excuse uncharacteristically bad behavior, so someone ‘unphased’ would be keeping steady. (I wondered whether some meaning might be leaking through from the Star Trek universe, where the ‘phaser’ is the weapon of choice, but saw no evidence of this.)

#4 2010-03-31 15:54:00

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I should know what the acorn for “await team” is, but I don’t. (I’ve read quite a bit of scifi, but never seen more than an episode or two of all the Star Treks. I know, weird.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2010-03-31 16:55:49

tyler

The acorn of “await team” is “away team”, as in, the group of people that they beam out from the space ship to explore a planet or visit another ship. I suppose the eggcorn is that the people back on the original ship “await” the team’s return.

#6 2010-03-31 19:57:36

kem
Eggcornista

Star Trek has given to English an unusually large number of words. The most fecund period for science fiction contributions to English, however, was the era of SF pulp, the 1930s through the 1950s. As this chart shows, Star Trek words entered English in a time when the SF window was beginning to close.

The chart, by the way, is from a fascinating OED project to document the words that SF has added to English. I grok it.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer