Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2010-05-20 09:02:12

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'D and A test' for 'DNA test'

Closely related to ‘D and C’ perhaps, including the notion of a scrape, and preceding ‘D and B’ which must surely involve those never regions in some way.

He had a D and A test done and it proved that my Dad wasnt the Dad. ... Is it possible for me and him to get a D and A test done without my …

So at some point we are going to have a D and A test done. (Oh and we use a condom. I talk to my exgirl friend. So we probably made that 1% ...

The other public defender was so incompetent that he requested “D and A testing” — he meant DNA — and told one client facing a felony charge …

There was lots of scientific stuff about D and A testing of bones using machines that probably cost millions, and people far brighter than me discussed the …

#2 2010-05-20 14:34:58

kem
Eggcornista

Re: 'D and A test' for 'DNA test'

Decent and Ascent?
Dead and Alive?
Drugs and Alcohol?

#3 2010-05-20 15:37:39

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Descendent and Ancestor?

#4 2010-05-21 14:05:44

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I’m reasonably sure I have seen (though I don’t have it in my database and couldn’t document it in a couple of minutes checking) “D and C” used non-facetiously for the Democratic National Committee. That would be essentially the same blooper as this one, I guess.
Unsurprisingly, it’s a round-tripper:

SNH Green stamps (aka food stamps/welfare debit cards) can only be applied to munchies or slurpies

There’s a sense in which this sort (a word turned into an initial) is a minimal Lehmann’s term; initials can be well viewed, for some purposes at least, as a kind of proper name.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-05-21 14:31:34)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer