Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-06-07 13:07:34

fpberger
Eggcornista

gracelessly agreed

Got this one in a memo at work where it was definitely not a joke, and found several other examples on the web where there was no indication at all that the one agreeing was lacking grace.

I’m thinking this is just a mishearing of the idiom, though, since I can’t see any sensible meaning to the use of “graceless” here.
I do notice a few cases where the writer is referring to him/herself: “I gracelessly agreed to …” which would sound overly self-satisfied if he or she used “graciously”, so I might posit that the users of the incorrect phrase don’t associate it with politeness towards / appreciation of the one agreeing. But I don’t see evidence that the writers believe the agreement was lacking grace in any sense.

takeyourpics.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.html : “In April, my church ask me to volunteer to be the Church Photographer, and I gracelessly agreed. I have enjoyed meeting the new church members and…..”

5dot3.com/MaryBethSanford/what0604.html : “To my great joy, she has gracelessly agreed to allow me to begin hosting her stories. Most, if not all, will be new.”

www.yaledailynews.com/scene/.../where-d … sex-curve/ “But my editor asked me to write on bisexuality, so, in my usual attempt to have it both ways, I gracelessly agreed. ”

#2 2010-06-07 13:32:42

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: gracelessly agreed

Maybe with they agreed without saying grace, just digging right in.

Board footer