Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-10 17:27:55

pearsov

"mustard the courage" for "mustered the courage"

I spotted this one recently and did a Google search. It came up with quite a few examples. It made me chuckled, but I’m not quite sure if it qualifies as a genuine eggcorn, though.

#2 2006-08-15 09:16:45

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "mustard the courage" for "mustered the courage"

Google count Aug 15, 2006
546 “cut MUSTARD”
1300 “cut muster”

When something doesn’t “cut muster,” it fails to stand up to critical examination. When a person remarks that something doesn’t “cut mustard,” I’m at a loss for what image they might convey in their mind. I’m guessing that this simple word substitution fails to qualify as an eggcorn because it doesn’t conjure up a coherent image by the misquoter. Yes, one can literally cut mustard, but what does that mean?

Examples:

Don’t debate, just call namesAlso your Appeal to Authority doesn’t cut mustard; if all mathematicians said 2+2=5 the fact wouldn’t change that 2=2=4. ...
www.worldmagblog.com/blog/archives/014581.html – 99k – Cached – Similar pages

Current Publications – Gadens Lawyers AustraliaWA credit providers licensing; Introducer driven identity checks do they cut mustard? Banking and Finance Update – July 2005 …
www.gadens.com.au/Publications.asp?Cate … d=4&cid=23 – 50k – Cached – Similar pages

Copyrights & LegalWhy “hiring a marketing expert” won’t cut mustard if you want new clients… Expecting magic from a marketing expert hired for your Accounting firm? ...
www.accountancymarketing.info/copyright.html – 50k – Cached – Similar pages

#3 2006-08-15 14:56:56

patschwieterman
Administrator

There isn’t a Database entry on “mustard the courage,” but there is a “pass muster”>>”pass mustard” entry that mentions “mustard the courage” in the comments section: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/260/pass-mustard/

David Beaver and Alex Krich also had a brief exchange on related topics back in June:
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?pid=942

Like Jorkel, I’m not sure the muster/mustard substitution is an eggcorn, but Zwicky and Beaver both offer some support for that idea. Krich and another person cited in the Database entry suggest a hybrid with “cut the mustard.”

#4 2006-08-22 10:20:50

jorkel
Eggcornista

Apparently there are two STANDARD (non-eggcorn) phrases:
1. pass muster, and
2. cut the mustard.

I was not convinced of the legitimacy of the latter until recently. Quoting the source below: The first recorded use of the phrase is by O Henry in 1907, in a story called The Heart of the West: “I looked around and found a proposition that exactly cut the mustard”. So, it looks like my earlier post is flawed, and I am left with eggcorn on my face!

Questions & Answers: Cut the mustardWhat is the origin of ‘cut the mustard’? ... The first recorded use of the phrase is by O Henry in 1907, in a story called The Heart of the West: “I looked …
www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-cut1.htm – 8k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2006-08-22 12:12:26)

Board footer