Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-06 10:48:21

kem
Eggcornista

Eggcorn crossword

The Los Angeles Times is offering a Sunday crossword whose theme is “Gathering Eggcorns” The crossword contains at least ten eggcorns, drawn, I suspect, from our Eggcorn Database.

If the link above doesn’t work (it will expire), you can see the puzzle with its solution here.

Last edited by kem (2010-07-06 10:49:02)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2010-07-06 12:09:14

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: Eggcorn crossword

Cool! We may need an “Eggcorns in the Larger Culture” page or something to accommodate this sort of thing.

You’ve got to be right about his use of the Database—all the reshapings I had time to look at can be traced here. For some of them, he might have looked at the forum as well—zeroscaping, e.g., has never made it into the Database. That makes me wonder whether he’s one of our lurking members.

#3 2010-07-06 13:17:05

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Eggcorn crossword

There are a few further timbits of information given in a post on Language Log last week, plus a link to a Java version of the puzzle, which appeared on 6/27/2010.

Board footer