Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-11 08:27:53

coopermktg

"full proof" for foolproof

I did a quick search on your site and didn’t find a reference to “full proof.”

There are tons of Google hits, including this one which fancies it up with a hyphen:
http://www.recipezaar.com/110419

#2 2006-08-11 12:04:52

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "full proof" for foolproof

This one’s never made it to the Database, but it gets submitted from time to time. Here’s an earlier submission with analysis and examples (smooshed for the blockquote format):

#314 Commentary by Bogus Trumper , 2005/04/06 at 4:29 pm
I see a lot of people using “full proof.” I suppose what they mean by that is that the foolproof something has been through a rigorous proof like a geometry proof. Maybe it would be a “half proof” if they only got half way through the proof?
Until they can find a full proof method for testing, steroids will be impossible to stop.
My idea’s are FULL-PROOF and my jokes are plentiful so nobody gets frustrated by me.
However, words direct from the trainer’s mouth, although not full-proof, tend to be the best “tip”, and one leading exponent of his profession chatted yesterday about one of his big hopes which is engaged in this afternoon’s Doncaster Mile.

#3 2010-07-08 18:53:40

Full Proof

My name is Nick Jones, I am a proofreader based in the UK, and I set my business up in 2004. It was really hard to think of a good name, and I was so pleased when I thought of Full Proof because I’ve always been into puns generally, and ‘full proof’ struck me as a bit of a peach!

Perhaps I shot myself in the foot though, because whenever I google Full Proof, I am always in the number two spot after this page! It’s educated me though – I must admit I had never heard of an eggcorn before…

Nick Jones
Full Proof

Last edited by Full Proof (2010-07-08 18:54:01)

#4 2010-07-08 20:05:53

kem
Eggcornista

Welcome to the forum Nick. Not surprisingly, more than one of our regular contributors works/has worked as a copyeditor/proofreader. You have access to more primary sources of malapropisms and eggcorns that the rest of us do.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#5 2010-07-08 21:11:05

David Bird
Eggcornista

As an cultural aside, the word “full”, pronounced as “fool”, was briefly popular as a slang word among francophone “ados” a few years back, signifying “completely, over the top”. As in “full grano”, to describe a vegetarian restaurant graced with images of Shiva and frequented by granolas.

Board footer