Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-15 21:03:19

klakritz
Eggcornista

'honest' for 'onus'

Users of this substitution implicitly construe truthfulness (‘honest’) as a burden (‘onus’). Examples-

Again the honest is on the Hampton’s to prove their assertion, while the opposite may be taken by the Sen.’s spouse …
www.lasvegassun.com/.../state-gop-ensig … defenders/

Now the honest is on you to answer some of the question fellow forumers asked.
forum.lowyat.net/topic/1404245

Also the honest is on you to watch what you eat and drink, but we will give you the tools and advices you need to conquer that.
www.iamfitness.ca/pdf/Tips_for_Success.pdf

Now he wants to put the honest on Michael to prove Sonny guilt when he had the proof and he threw it away.
boards.soapcentral.com/showthread.php?p=11841100

I’d recommend you put the honest on the supplier. You should be able to get a half decent kit in the $800 – $1500 CDN range …
www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=678&view=next

#2 2010-07-15 21:09:25

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'honest' for 'onus'

Ooooooh. Delicious. The sense of the majority of these is “burden of proof”.

#3 2010-07-16 12:20:41

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Also

the honorous task of formulating the national Constitution. ...

The Zeus sanctuary in Olympia was given the honorous task of appointing a pertinent committee

... to Duna Troiani who took on the honorous task of formating the book

... I have a soft spot for the Pawnee despite having been given the honorous task of washing out that hopper

the honorous task of writing a program that will identify incoming calls as either a fax or a regular modem call

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#4 2010-07-16 16:51:15

fpberger
Eggcornista

I like that the first few of JuanTwoThree’s examples are actually onerous honors…

#5 2010-07-16 16:57:45

fpberger
Eggcornista

Also:

....those web sites were constantly changing, making the updating of urls ownerous….

....it would have to be fair and reasonable otherwise subs are not going to bid if it is too ownerous…..

....the government having the power to prevent me from flying or driving or puting ownerous restrictions on it…

Certainly there are cases where being an owner carries onerous duties…

#6 2010-07-16 17:38:21

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

The ownus / oweness/ownness/owness is honest to keep track of them all. (As opposed to the on us being on you .)
(Unfortunately, the only case I have of “the onus is honest to VerbPhrase” is from a dubious source—the guy is the type that might have done it on purpose.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#7 2010-07-22 19:35:10

David Bird
Eggcornista

Here’s a bummer malaprop.

Xbox membership
Wherever you go it’s the same thing, particularly with free trials etc, you have to give card details to get the trial and then the anus is on you to cancel to stop them

Talking with Guinea pigs
perhaps the anus is on us to try and learn to speak there language.

Radio DJ
I hope they get some video of the attack because the anus will be on Nestor to explain why that was not assault.

Last edited by David Bird (2010-07-22 19:35:59)

#8 2010-07-22 21:26:10

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Pat’s dictum that if you can think of it you can probably find it, strikes again.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#9 2013-05-03 09:09:15

David Bird
Eggcornista

My motives are honest, noble even, though onerous.

The following are the clauses usually contained in a disposition for the purpose of conveying heritable property :
1. The narrative or inductive clause in which the names of the disponer and disponee are set forth, the cause of granting the deed is stated, and the receipt of the price or consideration is acknowledged if the conveyance has been for an onerous causa.
Chambers’s encyclopedia, 1883

Then, the deed continues, -”Therefore, and for the love, kindness, and respect we bear to the said town of Stirling, and other onerous causes moving us, wit ye us to have sold, annailzied and disponed,” &c. In the interlocutor of 1829, in the other process, I see Lord Corchouse thinks it is presumable that this was an ordinary sale, if I understand rightly the use made in that interlocutor of the term onerous causes. I venture to doubt this. There might be in the transaction other matters denominated onerous causes, passing in arrangements between the town and the Earl; but I own this does not convey to my mind the notion of an ordinary sale.
The Scottish Jurist, 1846

Glossary: ANNALZIE, ANNAILZIE, v. Sc. law (obs.): to sell or alienate (property). [“Unexplained variant of alien, regular in Sc. use throughout the 15th and 16th cent.” D.O.S.T.]

Dispone, (Scots Law) To make over, or convey, legally.

Note: these I take to be eggcorns of honoris causa, “for the sake of the honour”.

Last edited by David Bird (2013-05-03 09:15:49)

Board footer