Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-18 21:22:11

David Bird
Eggcornista

An eggcorn source book

There is another interesting Google book I came across today that might prove fruitful for other searches. It has the glorious title of

Phreno-mnemotechnic dictionary:
being a philosophical classification of all the homophonic words of the English language : containing also separate classifications of geographical, mythological, biographical, scientific and technical homophonic words, to be used in the application of the phreno-mnemotechnic principles

by Francis Fauvel-Gouraud, from 1844. It is a great gallimaufry of similar-sounding words. Enter the word “stock” in the search feature and see whatcha get. If you get a page snippet, click on it and it will open out. Application of the phreno-mnemotechnical principles suggested the following addition to the very fecund stock still collection, which did pan out:

fanfic
“Surprised to see me, little brother?” Itachi stood stoic still smirking at Sasuke’s caught-of-guard state.

another fanfic
She stood stoic still, clad in her skater outfit, the tight fabric hugging her lanky form.

8 legit hits, all from fanfics.

#2 2010-07-19 00:30:54

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: An eggcorn source book

Thanks for introducing us to the science of Phreno-mnemonics. I’m not sure yet whether F F-G is madman or genius, but I found some of the collocations striking. The linkage of “sodium” and “sodomy” instantly had me thinking of Lot’s Wife. And then there’s the wonderful coupling of “oyster” and “estuary.” Together, those two pairings constitute undeniable proof of the existence of a providential order behind human language.

I think “stoic still” is my favorite of the many variants. It’s almost too good to be true—a physical instantiation of the popular image of the stoic as someone who can’t be “moved” emotionally.

Board footer