Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-21 13:55:40

teknomad

bombfire for bonfire

A coworker—foreign-born but been in the US since he was a kid—uses the term “bombfire” instead of “bonfire”, and I can see why. Having set many bonfires myself, I know what too much green wood in the stack can do once the flames get rolling…it can certainly sound and act like a bomb!

[Yes, I know two others have posted this eggcorn already—but its not in the database yet and I don’t know if you’re using reference counts as implied votes or not, so I though it couldn’t hurt to post it again!]

#2 2010-07-21 17:50:13

kem
Eggcornista

Re: bombfire for bonfire

Thank you, teknomad. And welcome to the forum.

What we usually do is add our new citations to the thread where they were first mentioned. Doing this causes the thread to be highlighted and brought into this year’s catalog of posts, so it does serve as sort of a vote for moving it into the database.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2010-07-22 23:31:03

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: bombfire for bonfire

Bombfire is one of those eggcorns you would certainly expect to already see in the Database.

Board footer