Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-29 09:53:12

jorkel
Eggcornista

HUGEmongous

Google hits on Aug 29, 2006
9910 “Hugemongous”
2,190,000 “Humongous”

“Hugemongous” sounds like a neological blending of “huge” and “humongous.” But when you track down the etymology of “humongous” you find that it is a slang term derived from a combination of -none other than- “huge” and “tremendous” (or “monstrous”). So, “hugemongous” really isn’t all that spectacular as it is merely an evolution of one slang term into an even snappier slang term. And, it is most likely an intentional change.

According to the website below, “humongous first darted on to the linguistic stage only about 1968, apparently as a bit of college slang, but hit the big time almost immediately and has been with us ever since. ”
Weird Words: Humongous’Humongous’ is a common word with a surprisingly short history.
www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-hum2.htm – 6k – Cached – Similar pages

Examples:

Win A Laptop! – TotalChoice Hosting Family ForumsMy monitor is hugemongous! It’s a 19 inch, my mom gave it to me for Christmas, my previous monitor was a 17 inch and weighed like 80 pounds. yeah my …
www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/index … 909&st=100 – 468k – Cached – Similar pages

Google Groups: sci.electronics.designindicated the Hugemongous amount of lack of knowledge regarding safety as well as the battery and electrical circuits to perform a satisfactory job. ...
groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/tree/browse_frm/month/2000-10/d48ff6cd4d8bfa16?rnum=111&am… – 107k – Cached – Similar pages

/trunk/Framework/Source – Growl – TracGrowlFramework_Prefix.pch, 187 bytes, 1578, 1 year, boredzo: Hugemongous reorg. All source files for the prefpane and GHA are now in … ...
trac.growl.info/browser/trunk/Framework/Source – 14k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer