Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-07-01 09:49:05

rogerthat
Eggcornista

object poverty << abject poverty

The conventional idiom “Abject poverty” is loaded with negative connotations like disease and starvation. Is it possible that post-modern political correctness has ameliorated the stigma and degradation associated with poverty? Compared to “abject poverty”, the phrase “object poverty” connotes the far less negative circumstance of a mere scarcity of objects. The implication being that people stricken with “object poverty” simply don’t have enough stuff (like the nouveau poor).

ghits( “object poverty” ) = 2440. [Some of the “object poverty” hits are deliberate (and tasteless, IMHO) play on words relating to object oriented programming. ] In many cases, “object poverty” looks like more than just an occasional slip.

On to our seniors, yes many are living in object poverty. These are the brave souls that worked, in some cases 60 years, to pay for all the social programs …
www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/ /index.php?act=findpost&pid=234226

That community is more likely to be subject to object poverty and all of the ugly aspects of object poverty on a large scale, that community is going to …
fora.tv/2007/08/14/Advancing_ the_Rule_of_Law_in_the_U_S__and_Abroad

The organisation mission is to free marginalized and vulnerable group from object poverty and dehumanizing condition of extreme poverty to make them self …
amlat.oneworld.net/contact/company/view/14739

Despite the harsh circumstances besetting his own life—object poverty, incessant gambling, the death of his firstborn child—Dostoevsky produced a …
www.amazon.com/ Idiot-Bantam-Classic-Fyodor-Dostoevsky/dp/product-description/0553213520

Earlier posts in this forum about “abject lesson” didn’t seem to get much traction. Does anybody else think that “object poverty” has eggcorn legs?

#2 2008-07-01 10:25:08

kem
Eggcornista

Re: object poverty << abject poverty

Highly probably eggcorn. I would have no abjection to putting it in the database.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2008-07-01 10:54:32

nilep
Eggcornista

I agree: it walks like an eggcorn and quacks like an eggcorn.

I think object lesson is probably having an effect here. The phrase an object lesson is more commonly used to mean “a striking example” than “a lesson using concrete objects”. Object poverty therefore becomes “striking or especially troubling poverty”.

I shall have to go back and take another look at the “abject lesson” thread.

#4 2010-08-20 07:04:05

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

A good place to mention ‘adject poverty’

‘you will fall into adject poverty dragging your family into it as well’

‘The fact that they are rich and majority of ghanaians are ain adject poverty’

Not to mention

‘our beloved county will continue to decay until it perishes either in wars or in adjective poverty and economic bondage’

‘I talk as someone who still have clear memory of what it means to live in adjective poverty’

and

‘while his people wallowed in abjective poverty’

‘It’s not in rich areas, but not in the abjective poverty either’

The semantics elude me somewhat. There seems to be the obvious influence of ‘adjective/objective’ combined perhaps with that odd way of avoiding offense by mentioning the part of speech:

I told him he was an (adjective) (adjective) son-of-a-(noun)

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2010-08-20 07:12:25)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#5 2010-08-20 15:55:31

Ovidius
Banned

thanks for the information ..

Board footer