Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-30 09:12:32

jorkel
Eggcornista

DEVICIVE politics (divisive)

Google counts on Aug 30, 2006
5,250,000 “Divisive”
88,000 “DEVISIVE”
3330 “DEVICIVE”
Analysis by Joe Krozel

“Divisive” means “creating disunity or dissention.” And, this term is frequently used in a context such as “divisive politics.”

The eggcorn “devicive” or “devisive” originates from the notion that a device is being invoked. So, “devicive politics” might involve a device like a ruse or any dirty trick in general.

I winnowed down my Google search to those posts which contain both “devicive” and “device” in the same discussion. And I tried to locate those posts which use the eggcorn in the context of “divisive (tactics).” Here is what I found…

Examples:

Fast track to fascism under Bush! – Politics at ATS Discussion …A very poignant Marxist device used daily by the current administration in America (and … as you paint him with devicive lingo, is indeed a bad guy. ...
politics.abovetopsecret.com/thread95502/pg2 – 102k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

The Inside Dope: Boland seeking support<br>for state senate runWho else would create a devicive democrat primary for no good reason against Mike … but forgive you for using the rhetorical device to make your points. ...
theinsidedope.blogspot.com/2005/03/boland-seeking-supportfor-state-senate.html – 109k – Cached – Similar pages

Daily Kos: $1.6 billion… Texas i notice Texans & it’s a devicive post on a very important topic. ... Pelosi uses the tired, Democratic device of saying where the money could …
www.dailykos.com/story/2006/2/14/1784/69126 – 244k – Cached – Similar pages

Leica Forum: Ben Lifson’s Review of the D2… tend to post to be devicive or they are partisan in favor of a brand name . ... And I am learning the ins and outs of this picture taking device like I …
www.leica-camera.com/cgi-bin/discus_e/d … page=58773 – 97k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

A Warning About WestCorp Financial Inc…. contracted agents versed in highly unusual and devicive tactics all of which … It is a fact that an unidentified electronic device was discovered in a …
www.angelfire.com/ca/westcorp/ – 35k – Cached – Similar pages

Trainz Discussion Forum – Marias Pass Route for Trainz released… the oldest heraldic device in the world , still in use as a national flag . ... comments like these are devicive and only dicourage other creators who …
forums.auran.com/trainz/forum/printthread.php?threadid=92370 – 127k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

HaloScan.com – Commentsin mid-August simulating the explosion of a half-kiloton nuclear device at the … their gatekeepers in countering the devicive tactics they are employing. ...
www.haloscan.com/comments/dazinith/115480234640611396/ – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2006-08-30 09:22:21)

Board footer