Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-15 10:55:16

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

close knit/nit

I’m not sure that I’m getting any better at separating ship from ghost, but this looks a pretty pussy jewel to me. Almost all references are to a close-knit family or team, and if any one of them had headlice they would become equally close-nit within a short time. Am I still embarking up the wrong tree?
28,000 ghits and many are obviously mis-spellings but some occur in sentences written by writers who spell well otherwise…
Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and the ability to work within a close nit team to strict deadlines. · Experience of writing technical …
www.space-careers.com/jobsearch/view_1896.html – 22k –
... afraid of no alliances and do their own thing! and Monkeys cause they look like they are having fun and they obviously have a very close nit Kingdom. ...
forums.utopiatemple.com/showthread.php?t=68999&page=2 – 91k

#2 2006-09-15 11:05:18

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

Re: close knit/nit

A Haitian boy in my neighborhood told me that he picked up “head lights” at school. He is from a close-nit family, and all his brothers got head lights as well.

#3 2006-09-15 11:41:09

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

Peter – Did you see the current goat post here? And, be sure to look at the goat/ghost and knit/nit entries in the Eggcorn Database. You seem to be thinking and joking along all the right lines.

#4 2010-08-31 21:13:17

David Bird
Eggcornista

Double yoaker, I think. So close knit that you share clothes nits?

Account of a trip through the Orient
They took in their stride the boat traffic and their neighbor in the junk next to them with women hanging out clothes as part-and-parcel of a clothes-nit community, where little Chinese women hung out their wash on lines that stretch from stern to bow of their Junk boats.

Political forum,one perp, two posts
RvR has become a “clothes-nit” community, and I want to preserve that as much as possible, but also keep the more pertinent discussions from competing with the frivolous stuff.
So, I say we use the new and improvised RvR as a way-station to something more true to what we’ve become, which is a ‘clothes nit’ community of cranks and friends who’ve become attached to one another, much the way ants and worms and flies get all jumbled up in an old carmel apple rolling down the gutter in the hot sun.

There is a sister post in gnat picking
Incidentally, it took many takes before I realized that a “pretty pussy jewel” must have been a reference to a “pus jewel”. Before that, I was looking for the feline connection :-).

Board footer