Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-24 15:09:33

jorkel
Eggcornista

BEAUTITUDE (beatitude)

To “beatify” means to make supremely happy. And, to be supremely happy must be simply beautiful. Whence, the eggcorn. It’s hard to locate examples of this eggcorn except possibly with the modification “beatitude.” (I don’t know that there’s a legitimate word “beautitude,” which would mean “beauty”).

Google counts on July 24, 2007:
917,000 beatitude
877 beautitude

By the way, the first time I heard the word “beatitude” I assumed the utterer was being an intellectual snob and simply refusing to pronounce it the way it was spelled…”beautitude.” (Or so I thought).

Examples:

BeautitudeDiscussion on the Beautitude(s) from the Sermon on the Mount. The Beatitudes (Mt 5:1-12) probably rank in the top ten most favorite Bible passages. ...
www.paulturner.org/beautitude.htm – 8k – Cached – Similar pages

PDS Russia Religion News July 1999A high assessment was given to the visits to the Russian Orthodox church by His Beautitude, the pope and patriarch of Alexandria and all-Africa, ...
www.stetson.edu/~psteeves/relnews/9907d.html – 64k – Cached – Similar pages

EpilogueVerse 14 gives us the seventh and last beautitude, which describes the characteristics of the saved who have access to the tree of life and entrance into …
www.prophecyforum.com/revelation/epilogue.html – 18k – Cached – Similar pages

AGGRESSION IN THE HOUSE OF GOD : IntentBlog… where there is an ugly heirarchy of the masses and their masters, where there is chaos and cacophony instead of peace and beautitude. What happens? ...
www.intentblog.com/archives/2007/01/agg … _in_t.html – 32k – Cached – Similar pages

Official Predator of the Week—Group A Strept… – tribe.netStumpy amputees pray every night for my salvation as if they might levitate on the wings of beautitude, reflecting on their experience with shiny moonlike …
people.tribe.net/mike_c/blog/5b15dd41-819a-41c5-95ae-b38ea677181e – 34k – Cached – Similar pages

One last thing… the etymologies of these two words are apparently unrelated.

#2 2010-09-12 11:07:57

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: BEAUTITUDE (beatitude)

Beautitude is a beaut. I heard something similar this morning in an interview about the pending beatification of the 19th century thinker Cardinal John Newman. In that talk, Newman’s biographer said that media in the UK were referring to it as a beautification.

Birmingham Post
However, the Catholic Church denied Cardinal Newman was gay and insisted his body was being put in a new grave at Birmingham Oratory to make it easier for pilgrims to get to ahead of his beautification.

#3 2010-09-12 17:21:24

kem
Eggcornista

Also “beautific << beatific” as posted earlier.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2012-10-19 15:45:58

larrybob
Eggcornista

Time magazine website article on Native American women who reportedly had smallpox scars which disappeared after her death: “Tekakwitha was actually beautified in 1980 by Pope John Paul II and was made patroness of the World Youth Day celebrations in Toronto in 2002.”

This person suggests an alternate etymology for ‘Beautitudes’: “So first of all, my question for a long time is what exactly is a “beautitude”? Dictionary.com doesn’t have an answer for us, and I’m guessing it’s some kind of language knowledge that unfortunately I’m not privy to. But I thought about it, and let’s break down the word. ‘Beauti – tude’, or ‘beauty – tude’, sounds a lot like ‘beautiful attitude’ to me, and it seems to be what Jesus is getting at here: we’re blessed like crazy when we have these beautiful, godly attitudes toward whatever goes on in our lives. And remembering from a couple posts ago, “blessed” and “happy” should be interchangeable words in our vocabularies – so these “beauty-’tudes” are like Jesus spelling out to us how to be happy ALL THE TIME – notice that he’s even including times that we’re blessed when we’re mourning or being persecuted. So let’s go through each of these, and get a look into the beautiful attitudes we’re meant to have. (And be DOERS!!!)”

Board footer